Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Acclamation levels?

JCase

I have a biocube 29 with the large retro plus moon installed in the hood.

I picked up some corals. According to replies in this thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/371975-verify-what-i-believe-these-are/?p=5295634

The torch coral I got is bleached out. Pictures are in the above thread.

The lfs I got them from has been around for many years and has a very good reputation. I'm annoyed they sold me a bleached out coral. I got 2 torch corals and even commented that it was cool to have a green and white torch. They never said it was bleached out. They just let me believe in my ignorance, that it was a white torch. Unless the replies in the above thread are wrong about it being bleached out?

In the above video am I seeing what is referred to as disco effect? If so how do I fix it?

I'm using the natural sun option, therefore mid day setting are applied to a bell curve.

My levels prior to adding them were:

RB 60%

W/L 30

V 75

C/B 60

I changed them to:

RB 40%

W/L 20

V 55

C/B 40

I thought posting here at the source of the lights may help me determine acclamation levels.

Thank you,

just keep it at the lower levels or an area that shaded or less light until it gains color back. very few if any corals are all white naturally. but bleaching isnt a huge issue, lower light and feed more, it will recover. i was able to recover a BTA that pretty much translucent. the reason it bleached could be for a few reasons but stress is a major factor. even what is sold as white torches still have some color to them, usually very pale brown. either way not a big worry just needs a little extra TLC

That's not a disco effect but shimmer. Disco effect is when you see individual points of color from an above diode, like a defined red spot or green spot on the sand or rockwork. If you want to lessen the shimmer, then decrease surface agitation.

There is no easy way around that. It's an artifact of using multiple point sources of light in different colors. You could add a diffusing material to the splash guard to help it blend more, but then you lose the shimmer.

Settings looks fine. Bleached corals take much longer to come back than say browned. Just give it time.

As for the colors, you can reduce surface agitation or use a diffuser film.

-Dave

Archived