Top Shelf Aquatics

how heavy????

leaky

K here is a strange one, but, does anyone know how much wieght can one put on top of a 10 gallon glass tank?......like a hood.... safe enough without breaking the tank of coarse ...

(Edited by leaky at 10:24 pm on June 17, 2002)

Interesting question. I am not sure what you are thinking about but I can not imagine that a hood within the pale of "normal" hoods is going to be  a problem. What are you going to put in/on the hood? Lights...fan, what else?

Actually, I have made the hood out of 5/8 inch board. it has a basic frame to fit on top of the tank nice and snug and then a couple extra small peices on each side to extent the hood length wise, almost pyramyd like in an upside down v shape, to fit 55w pc lights its interesting. I'll have to get a camera. I just don't know if it will cause to much pressure on the tank and over time the glass gives... that would not be good... I had it on thier today and man it looks great... but I'm just considering if I should support it or not? I will have to get the wieght of it as soon as I get a scale.... Thanks

On a glass tank I think it should be ok.  

As long as the weight is not overly too much but it should hold the normal set of hood equipment etc.

if you're that worried about the weight you might be able to devise a bracket for the aquarium stand that will hold the hood over the aquarium without placing the weight of it on the aquarium itself.  judging by your description, it sounds like you were shooting more for a customized light strip than an actual hood, so i think it would be acceptable to have it hovering over the aquarium rather than right on top like a hood.  i think i can envision your design, but i'd like to see some pics!

(Edited by flaunt at 7:50 pm on June 18, 2002)

Archived