Coral Vue Hydros

Please Help! Can I use this rock?!

L.bacchus88

L.bacchus88

Hey guys, so I got some dry rock from the fish store today. I was going dry rock vs live rock. I picked out some nice pieces, but when I got home and looked- I was thinking it could be lava rock, which I've heard not to use due to the iron. Can any of you guys tell me if this rock is lava? Or if it looks good to use? I'm afraid to use it now lol the guys at the store didn't say anything about it, but I don't know. It does have salt and little shells all over it, but it still may be lava rock. Please help! Thanks

Couple more

post-90663-0-51831400-1458437882_thumb.jpeg

post-90663-0-79201900-1458437925_thumb.jpeg

post-90663-0-22859100-1458438194_thumb.jpeg

post-90663-0-51635600-1458438303_thumb.jpeg

post-90663-0-10662100-1458438358_thumb.jpeg

post-90663-0-79055800-1458438528_thumb.jpeg

Many different types of rock can be sold under "lace rock". I would be nervous weather this rock was previously used in someones tank since its covered in shells/salt, no idea what medications it may have come in contact with or if it could leech phosphate.

As much $ we put into this hobby, I see no reason to use that rock when true quality dry rock is so inexpensive.

gulfsurfer101

Why use that crap! Take it back to wherever you got it from. I got a 30 pound box of rock of some guy on fb who is a wholesaler for like 40 shipped. Great looking stuff too btw!

Simulated Fish

I won't lie that is some cool shapes to work with.but when I. Doubt toss it out!

If you have the test or your LFS will test it I would let the rock soak with a heater for a week and check to serif it is leaching any metals.

I've got several pieces of nearly identical rock. It's been in my systems for years.

Currently I have a chunk in my display refugium where a mantis shrimp has made a home from one of the large "caves". I think I may have heard it called Caribbean or Haitian rock before? Either way it's fine. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Travisgause

I had, (had being the key word) a piece of what was called "lace" rock. It looked just like that stuff you have there, same color and everything. After being in my tank for about a month it started to grow hair algae on it. I pulled the rock and scrubbed and removed it. After just a few days it started to grow again. Now this was the only piece of rock that was growing algae on it. I was talking to a guy I know that runs Central Wyoming Aquatics. We were discussing live rock and got on the topic of lace rock. He said it contains high amounts of phosphates. I fought this rock for about 2 months cleaning it twice a week. After our conversation I removed said rock and have not had a spec of hair algae in a month now.

Might just be me but i wouldn't use this rock.. i like to know what i am putting in my tank. I would rather have some real dry rock and do it the right way so i am not kicking my self in 6 months wondering why my reef tank is suffering. you can buy some dry rock for cheap now a days! Good luck man

If you're unsure about it, don't use it. Better safe than sorry. Stick with your gut feeling. Assuming makes an ass out of U and ME. Anymore metaphors...? lol

L.bacchus88

Thanks guys! I gave the rock to my friend with a cichlid tank and got some nice dry rock. I'm still debating which is better to stick the pieces together: glue/epoxy sandwich or hydraulic cement. What do you guys prefer?!

Simulated Fish

Thanks guys! I gave the rock to my friend with a cichlid tank and got some nice dry rock. I'm still debating which is better to stick the pieces together: glue/epoxy sandwich or hydraulic cement. What do you guys prefer?!

Glue epoxy all day

Archived