SaltCritters.com

Cleanup Crew

JSinger884

printerdown01

1. My recommendation: 10 turbos, 2 turbins or margarita snails, 2 astrea, 10 hermits (bluelegs, redlegs, scarlets, zebras whatever...), a serpent star, and a small cuccumber (IMO a 30 can handle it). <-I like diversity, that's why I have 3 typs of snails recommended here.

2. Yup... although I wouldn't add the star or the cuc until the tank is ballanced

most of the online stores have specials. saltwaterfish.com usually has good prices as does exoticfish.com.

however, i don't recommend any 'starter pack' for a new system (i'm assuming that because you mentioned cycling). imo it's too much bioload on a fresh system. to cycle or startup a system i'd get 10%~20% of what the typically packages contain. a janitorial package isn't normally for cycling but rather to address detritus buildup or heavy feedings (predator tank or high fish population or a crappie)

i'd definitely skip the cuke until your system ages at least three months (some would even say that's an aggressive timeframe). your sandbed's cross-section (on the front) will typically show you when your system has sufficient fauna in the substrate to sustain a cuke or other sand-sifter.

printerdown01

Around here (LFSs) I can get turbos for $2 a peice, astreas for $1, turbons $1, hermits (blue and red legs) $1 [scarlets are $2]... So your staring package would be about: 2x10+2+2+10 so lets say about $35... later you'll want to add a brittle star or serpent star (10-20 depending on type around here) and cuc (these REALLY varry in price!)... -That will at least give you a rough estimate!

Archived