SaltCritters.com

Kylekruko85's BC29 Build Thread

kylekruko85

kylekruko85

24 hours after dosing I have .1 ammonia, .75 nitrites, 8.2 ph and what I think is about 15 nitrates. First time I have tested for nitrates.

post-90710-0-44595800-1459899735_thumb.jpeg

kylekruko85

Well it's down to one day to process ammonia and 2 for nitrites. No sign of algae growth yet. Do all tanks go through a diatom bloom?

Various algae blooms will occur during a newly setup aquarium, especially during the cycling phase. Diatoms are a very common occurrence in cycling tanks, so yes expect to have a diatom bloom.

kylekruko85

So my nitrates have been taking two days to zero out. But I my numbers have been going up for nitrites after 1 day of dosing. 6 days ago I dosed. Next day was .15. 4 days ago I dosed. Next day was .4. 2 days ago I dosed and the next day was .75. Still goes to zero by second day. My diatom bloom had started. Should I just keep dosing very two days. PH is still good. No water change necessary till cycle complete right?

I'm thinking that once your Ammonia and Nitrites have zero'd out, and your Nitrates continue to rise, your cycled.. If you have diatom blooms, your about ready for a clean up crew! Then you can stop the dosing. And you are correct about the water change. No changes until after cycle.

kylekruko85

Is it ok to change my filter floss at this point? I thought I read to leave in there for a few weeks without changing during the cycle.

kylekruko85

Well I just got my first water change done right before my wife decided to have her water break! Fish tank on hold for a few days, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
kylekruko85

Well things are settled back down a little after the arrival of a baby. I was able to add a small CUC last week. And everything seems to be going good. I plan to pick up a Bi Color Blenny this weekend and maybe a fire shrimp.

kylekruko85

So I did another water change to get my nitrates down a little more last night. Right now I am getting readings of 0 for ammonia and nitrites and about 7 for nitrates. My calcium is a little low at 400 and magnesium is at about 1300. Ph is at 8.2. Seems like I should be safe for a fish at this point. Is a coral frag out of the picture?

kylekruko85

Well I went ahead and picked up a few things from the LFS. Came home with a bi color blenny who his huddled in the corner hopefully just due to being stressed a little. Also a fire shrimp and a button polyp frag and candy cane frag.

• 2 weeks later...
kylekruko85

Things seem to be doing ok. The blenny and shrimp are eating fine. Corals seem to be doing well. The blenny is still pretty shy, only swimming from hole to hole. Hopefully he comes out of his shell.

post-90710-0-99557700-1462751176_thumb.jpeg

post-90710-0-76282000-1462751195_thumb.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
kylekruko85

Yes, I am definitely due for a progress update. I actually lost my bicolor blenny due to unkown reasons. All my parameters were good and the fish showed no signs of illness before passing. I ended up replacing it with a Midas blenny who seems to be doing ok. My fire shrimp has molted twice since I got him. This weekend I installed the Nanobox Large Retro Plus M led light system. Awesome upgrade (Pic Below). I have added a few different corals as well. I will try and get some shots of those tonight.

post-90710-0-73496400-1464403712_thumb.jpeg
  • 2 weeks later...

Love the new light....I actually was going to do that, but ended up removing my hood and going with the Nanobox Duo....love the bluefish controller app, so nice!

Your tank is looking good!

• 1 month later...

Archived