ReefCleaners.org

via aqua lights and MH

oflores

Okay, so I have the via aqua 2X36W PC. I hear that the ballast suck. Is that true?

I want to add an MH and was wondering what the light set up should be. If can keep the blue atinic and the daylight, should I get one 50/50 and one atinic, 2 atinics with the daylight? Also what should the spectrum and wattage?

The ballast on my ViaAqua fixture gave out a couple of times. Finally, I replaced the Via Aqua light fixture with a 150W HQI Metal Halide pendant. Using a 10K bulb I was not happy with the color so I switched to a 20K XM bulb - much nicer.

I was also concerned with giving up the actinic light but with the 20K bulb I was very pleased with the flouresence of different corals.

Heat is more of an issue - the tank runs around 82oF - and that is in an air conditioned room.

My tank right now is at 85F so I have try and cool it down every night. It runs at 81-82F when its not sooooo hot. I am thing of adding a type of chiller. Do you think a pendant MH would be the optimum distance for the MH. I was not sure of adding the 70W 10K or the 150W 10K.

Your tank is going to heat up with the MH. My tank was at 78-80F witht he original fixture - now its at 82-84.

IMO - the 150 W watt is a much better choice for lighting requirements and flexibility, but the heat is the issue. Depending on the types of coral you plan to keep you could use the 70W and have less of problem with heat - I don't really know how much temp rise you would get. Raising the pendant is an option - but a better solution would be a chiller. I'm considering a chiller because I would really rather have the tank stable at 78 or so.

Yeah me too. I was looking at the micro chillers but I don't know if it is worth investing because it only brings it down 4-5 degrees. the jbj chillers are just too expensive. I did see a different chiller cannot recall who makes it. It runs around 250 and says it for 25G-75G. I saw at marinedepot website.

Archived