Top Shelf Aquatics

melting mushrooms, please help!!

torpedo12342001

torpedo12342001

I noticed that my salt level was a little low. My lfs told me to add a little sea salt until it was at the correct level. I mixed about a 1/4 cup into about a gallon and poured it into the tank. I think some of it touched my frog spawn and mushroom rock. I lost the frog spawn and the mushrooms are melting away. I just bought these about 2 weeks ago. I am sick to my stomache. Is there anything that I can do to stop the mushrooms from melting? I have been using a syringe to take out as much of the "slime". Please help..... I am afraid that it will spread to the rest of my corals.

dont you know to never put salt in the tank???

you should of take out some water then mix a bucket of fresh new water from ro/di or tap, then you mix it and then u put it in!

originaly written by torpedo:

I mixed about a 1/4 cup into about a gallon and poured it into the tank. I think some of it touched my frog spawn and mushroom rock.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

do you mean you mixed it in a bucket??

or what?

i hope that i made you learned something new!

my experience is that they are gone. all you can do is watch and remove the 'slime'.

sometimes they leave little 'babies' behind that grow up to take their place so dont remove the rock right away.

nalbar

torpedo12342001

yes I mixed the salt with ro/di water "in a bucket" let it sit for about an hour and then poured it into the tank. The fish store said that would be ok. I have lost a frog spawn and most of the mushroom rock. Thank you nalbar for being respectful and not being a "jackass". You really picked an appropriate name for yourself! I was just hoping for some help and knowledge from anyone that seemed to have had the same problem. I posted this in the "beginners" section for a reason.... FOR HELP! Not for your your nasty comments. The only lesson learned is to not take advice from you!!!

how long has your tank been set up? Did you just pour the water in a swift pour or over a small period of time. I added kalk one time by just pouring in till the tank filled up(i was in a super rush) the tank turned chaulk white EVERYTHING closed from zoos, to montipora polyps, to the xenia and to the anemone. I took out half a galln and poured half galon of reg saltwater right back in....everything was mad for about 20 minutes...but they reopend

I dont understand why that little water change have upsetted the coralz and even damaged them? Was it because like the SG changed to quicky? Or did you not mixed the salt water well enuff??

unforgettableknight

What was the salinity before you added and what was the salinity of what you added? How are you measuring it? Also you put about a gallon of new, what size is the tank?

What was the SG in the tank before? What was the SG in the bucket that you poured in? What is the SG in the tank now?

Changing the SG should be treated like we are reacclimating ALL the animals in the tank. When you change the SG too fast the animals in the tank will go into shock (hypo or hyper depending on the direction) and many will die. Inverts are the first to go, corals, anemonies, snails... Fish have a higher tolerance to SG swings.

I have never made this mistake so I'm not sure when the die-off will end for you but post your SG measurements so we can see where you are at and maybe save the remaining animals (if you have snails they are also in trouble if this is not resolved).

unforgettableknight

Well SCD explaind the problems that can occur, but let us know the data and what you are using to measure it. Also, I always do a drip of the new water in so it slowly mixes with the tank water and put the incoming tube by a powerhead.

"Oh and please dont tell us you have been topping off with salt water.Arrrrrgggg!"

I always top off with salt water, but a) my situation is special and B) I know exactly what I am doing. *Disclaimer* Kids, dont try this at home!

Archived