Top Shelf Aquatics

Ice Cap K2-50 First look !

Herbie

blizzardscout2

Just curious anyone run one of these on a Reefer 170 or similar size (43 total gallons with sump)? Should I go up the 120 model instead? I do plan on stocking quite a few fish.

tanacharison
32 minutes ago, blizzardscout2 said:

Just curious anyone run one of these on a Reefer 170 or similar size (43 total gallons with sump)? Should I go up the 120 model instead? I do plan on stocking quite a few fish.

Go K2-120 I absolutely love mine!  I'm right around the same gallons 45.

blizzardscout2

I watched your review videos last night. I have a opportunity for a K2-50 for a decent price so I will give it a go. If it isn't up to my expectations I will sell and go for the 120. Sweet setup by the way. 

• Like 1
tanacharison
9 minutes ago, blizzardscout2 said:

I watched your review videos last night. I have a opportunity for a K2-50 for a decent price so I will give it a go. If it isn't up to my expectations I will sell and go for the 120. Sweet setup by the way. 

Thanks!  I just picked up the k2-50 also but it's still breaking in.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi I just got the k2-50 skimmer for my 20 long / 10 gallon sump
Running it in 8inches.

How long did it take you guys for it to break in? I put it in vinegar and water for couple of hours first. Where do you set the bubbles? I left it in between the neck? I always had oversized skimmers and they never worked well with low bioload , now finally I got one that's the correct size I hope it works out well. 

IMG_1547.PNG

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hey All,

I'm shopping for a skimmer for a new red sea reefer 170 myself. I followed some threads that had a Simplicity 120 DC skimmer in the 170, but one downsized to the K2-50 and said it pulls way better because of the bioload.

This thread started more than a year ago. How are your skimmers going after a year?

tanacharison
20 minutes ago, kinetic said:

Hey All,

I'm shopping for a skimmer for a new red sea reefer 170 myself. I followed some threads that had a Simplicity 120 DC skimmer in the 170, but one downsized to the K2-50 and said it pulls way better because of the bioload.

This thread started more than a year ago. How are your skimmers going after a year?

I really dislike my K2-50 but love my K2-120!  The way smaller one is assembled and put together the slightest bump can make it fall over or the air hose fall out.  I also dislike they way you remove the skimmer cup, if the loud air silencer was attached to the body it would be better.