Pod Your Reef

BioCube 29 w/ NanoBox retrofit - settings ?

J Fox

Tank has been running now for ten days.. Diatoms starting to appear, and wondered what light settings everybody is using with success on this setup.

Currently I have Storm Controller set to:

Ch 1 Blue @ 140

Ch 2 White @ 80

Also have "night" mode set to 1 on blue only...

Sunrise and sunset set on AUTO

Ramp Time 60 minutes ? good bad what is it ?

Ramp Delay - ? nothing yet don't understand that one

Thanks for any and all help or suggestions ...

I have a retro in my BioCube 29 as well. I've been cycling for almost a month now and taking my time. I don't have the Storm controller but use the Bluefish Mini with 4 channels. Essentially, I am running my lights at 30% blues and 15% white, not sure how that translates to the Storm settings.

For the first 4 weeks, I have been cycling with the lights off. A few days ago, I was able to process 2ppm of ammonia to 0ppm in 24 hours. Once that happened, I did a small water change and turned on my lights. that was 3 days ago. Now I'm waiting for the diatoms and algae to come. Once I start stocking coral, I'll slowly ramp up my lights and observe how the corals react. Eventually, I'd like to max out at 60% blue and 30% white, but that will all be dependent on how the corals look and react. I've got to be careful not to bleach anything as these are some wickedly powerful lights!

Tank has been running now for ten days.. Diatoms starting to appear, and wondered what light settings everybody is using with success on this setup.

Currently I have Storm Controller set to:

Ch 1 Blue @ 140

Ch 2 White @ 80

Also have "night" mode set to 1 on blue only...

Sunrise and sunset set on AUTO

Ramp Time 60 minutes ? good bad what is it ?

Ramp Delay - ? nothing yet don't understand that one

Thanks for any and all help or suggestions ...

Leave the level settings for now.

Ramp time - How long you want the lights to go from 0 - your max setting ( 140/80 right now )

Ramp Delay - Delays one channel for a certain amount of time. Say you want CH2 ( whites ) delayed from turning on, set to 30 which will delay them for 30 minutes.

-Dave

Yes a few small holes for power and controller wires. I am not sure you will need to do that now with the Bluefish controller. And your other question, no soldering at all. Dave has it all ready to go. Strip old hood parts out and then remove and cut hole in shield for fan. Mount unit to deflector shield and back in it goes. Mount splash guard right back in place with no modifications.. It really does seem to be the most efficient light upgrade for the BioCube. I was so excited about mine I took a picture of one of the light chips and made it my avatar :)

I guess Dave is ok with it... I hope so anyway... Haha.

Ok so I have another question or two ...

I have the Storm controller set to mimick sunrise and sunset locally - Does that mean that as the days are now getting longer, so will my lighting ?

With that being said, I am actually thinking about changing the scheme to manual, having the lights start ramping down at 9 PM and be out at 10. Hate having reef tank dark while we are here and on all day when we are not. How many hours of full light am I looking for?

Lastly, any thoughts on keeping blue channel on as moon lighting set to 1 ? Will that still be too bright for the corals overnight ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Ok so I have another question or two ...

I have the Storm controller set to mimick sunrise and sunset locally - Does that mean that as the days are now getting longer, so will my lighting ?

With that being said, I am actually thinking about changing the scheme to manual, having the lights start ramping down at 9 PM and be out at 10. Hate having reef tank dark while we are here and on all day when we are not. How many hours of full light am I looking for?

Lastly, any thoughts on keeping blue channel on as moon lighting set to 1 ? Will that still be too bright for the corals overnight ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Just do a manual setting. You will be happier. A setting of 1 is just fine!

Archived