Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

weird sea monster

Sai

Hi was wondering if anyone know what this is?

it pretty big and attach to my liverock almost like it a part of the rock.

it well close it mouth when it scare or i get to close to it.

it also has to mouth.

btw is it reef safe?

what should i do with it?

Thanks

Wow. Damn. I'm not sure, but it looks kind of like a sea hare with some encrustation going on on his back. Not 100% though. Search nano-reef and reefcentral for some pics and info on em.

I would say it is a type of bivalve (oyster, clam, etc..).... But to be honest it is hard to tell from the picture. I am mainly going off your description couple with the picture.

If it is a bivalve you would be able to see the shell open and close... They don't open up to wide though. And you may be able to see the siphon as well. I have a couple different species in my tank and they are safe, they are very different looking from each other and different looking from your as well... Mine came in with my original live rock over 5 years ago and have been growing ever since. I would not be worried. Position the rock so you can see it and enjoy. I do not feed them specially.

hmm... this guy has no shell what you see there is his body and skin. i'll well take a picture of the whole rock that way it is easier to see how big it is.

i don't think he a sea hare either he has never move away from the rock so i'm pretty sure he attach to it. he just open and close his mouth.

Here a full picture of it with both mouth.

could it be two ascidians? (tunicates, sea squirts..)

are u sure it only has one opening for each 'mouth'. it kinda looks like there could be a smaller opening to the lower right of the left mouth, just outside the red circle you have drawn. if you can find a second opening close to the first, it could be an ascidian. (or maybe even just one big one?)

ive seen weird ones that are warty and squirt water at you when you touch them, and your pic reminds me a bit of that

Archived