Coral Vue Hydros

Choosing compatible fish...

PufferLover

PufferLover

I just set up my 55G for saltwater. I know I want a puffer of some kind. Probably one will be one of the porcupines because I think most of the others get too large? I want to know what I can put in the tank with the puffer. Because I have only had a few damselfish up until now, I'm anxious to be able to have plenty of fish in the tank is possible. I may even try and put two puffers in if they won't kill each other?

I am also setting up my 30G Tall at my aunt's house for her. She's going to want color and activity. I'm thinking a couple of damselfish and maybe a ocellaris clown or two? I screwed up just yesterday and added another damselfish to my 15G which already houses 2 damsels and they pummeled him to death before I even realized.

Another question: What can I use for rock work? I cannot afford to buy live rock or even dead rock for that matter. I've seen many ideas of making your own rock with concrete. Anyone tried this? I plan to do this, but I understand it has to be soaked and the water changed many times over the course of about 2 months. That's ok but anyone know of anything else?

Also, I bought a Scooter Blenny a while back and he died within the first few days. He was starved when I bought him, tho the LFS acted like there was nothign wrong with him and he's an easy keeper. WRONG. AFTER, which I know is the wrong time, I did a little research and learned they need live food in the sand and on rocks etc to find for themselves and they will pretty much starve if they don't have this. I love the Scooters and lots of other blennies and gobies. Which ones are easy to keep?

Also, I only have a small amount of sand on the bottom of my 55G. Will this be OK? I will only have fish in the tank and possible live rock when I can afford it. The sand just pretty much covers the bottom. I hate to pay another $30 for 30 lbs of sand again. I don't really like crushed coral. I like the sandy look.

Any help would be appreciated.

PufferLover

Yes, it will be fish only, since I have no experience at corals, nor the money to do so.

So, it will be fish only but as money allows, I might add some live rock on occasion, after it's been in quarantine for a month or so of course.

I only have normal regular flourescent lighting. Nothing special at all. One regular shop light and one Aquarium light for now.

I will provide lots of hiding places one way or another for all the fish.

How many fish could I fit into a 55 G with at least one porcupine puffer or other puffer that grows up to 8 inches or so?

scarletknight06

i wouldnt put a porc puffer in anything less than a 90g, definately not two! they grow very fast and are very messy, they have a large bioload for their size. If you're not going to have LR i definately wouldnt put a porc in anything less that a 125, they can make the water quality go bad quickly.

You can probably have a valintini puffer, they stay small (4"), and are cool too.

ask around at www.reefcentral.com more people can help you there.

From what I've read, there are two main fish called genearlly porc puffers. The one I was wanting is the Holo Puffer. Sorry, I forgot all the spelling. It's the one with the holographic eyes. I thought they stayed small. Even so, I really appreciate the heads up about their output. I hadn't considered that, so, shame on me.

Thanks for the Valentini Puffer idea. I do like all the puffers, the ones that look more like the porcs are the main ones I like. Including those of fresh/brackish types the leopard and figure 8 ones. Those are the ones that got me hooked on puffers.

I'm planning on adding my 2 small damselfish from the 15 gallon after the ammonia cycle is complete. They are very territorial, so if I get a Valentini Puffer, should I put him in before the damsels? I know the less territorial fish should be put into the tank first. But it being a 55G I figured they would have themselves a small place compared to the size of the tank?

In other words, I'm afraid to buy such and such fish, then add him after the damsels or clownfish or whoever and the new fish get beat up.

Thanks for the help y'all! I really do not want to mess this up.
This will be my first "big" saltwater tank and I want to throw in all the fish I've ever wanted, but of course, I won't go that far.

Kim

scarletknight06

I've only read about people that have valintini's but it do know its about the only puffer you can have a in a 55 (any of the cathinigistar {spelling} group of which it is a member,would be ok but the valintini is the only one i've seen available), and will be fine in your tank it sounds like. I'm not sure about stocking order, but i wouldnt worry on behalf of the puffer, they are generally the ones bullying other fish.

• 4 weeks later...

Green spotted puffers are also a great choice for a 55g. They would need to be by themselves and you can have up to two for that size tank. They need lots of decor to break up their line of sight so they don't get bored and also need a diet of small snails or krill to keep their beak worn down. If the beak is not worn down the puffer will be unable to intake food. They get about 4-5" in length and need a 50% water change every week because they are extremely messy. They are cute, adorable, fish who greet you and I personally love keeping them. :)

One thing to add, GSPs start out in freshwater as babies and are acclimated to brackish and finally to saltwater when they reach adulthood. In the wild they swim down river as they age until they eventually reach the ocean. Neat, huh?

Thanks AStarWithin, I totally agree about the GSP's. They were actually my very first puffers, and I completely fell in love with them. I've never had a more puppydog type fish. They were the best. Unfortunately, my heater failed to operate one very cold night when I WASN'T! home and they died!

Since then, I've been wanting one of each and every kind of puffer out there. Of course, that's impossible. Especially since I only have a 55G and 15G.

My faves at the fish shops are the porcupine puffers. Specifically the Holocanthus, for their personality. I love the dogface and panda faces for their.. well... faces.

I now have in my 55G my molly and my two Damsels. The damsels are so happy!!! I'm still unsure of exactly what I will buy. I do want a clownfish of some sort. I really like the maroons, but may just select the Nemo type. Will a clownfish and valentini be OK together? Should I buy them and place them into the tank at the same time? I also want a green wolf eel.

Well, OK, I want everything.

I'm also setting up my 30G tall at my aunts. I know I want to get her a clownfish, but I'm also thinking of the valentini puffer. Would they be OK in a 30 G together?

I sure appreciate the help. I would drive my LFS owner's crazy with my questions. Sad thing is, the greatest LFS in the whole Pensacola FL area is so far away from me. About 1 hour. I don't like to keep my fishies in a bag for that long. But, they are such a nice store with knowledgeable staff.

Thanks again. and I am looking for more tanks so I can have mor puffers!!!

Kim

Archived