Cultivated Reef

Are ATOs Really Necessary in a 10G Fusion?

lallen_74

If you ever need to go away for a few days, just raise the water level in your rear chambers, and that would buy you a couple of days of evaporation. And if you're gone for a week or more, you'd probably have a tank sitter anyway to top off. So I'm in the "not necessary" camp. Also, topping off will establish a routine for you to check on other things like filter floss (if you run it) and clean salt creep etc…

Good luck either way!

. Also, topping off will establish a routine for you to check on other things like filter floss (if you run it) and clean salt creep etc…

Good luck either way!

I think this is the way I lean, too. I know that I'm am basically lazy underneath and if I automate too many things, I will creep toward not-so-benign neglect. It seems that a routine of daily maintenance keeps me honest.

Again, though, I may change my mind if I spring for a 30G or larger. I promised my husband I would work on this one for at least six months before adding any more tanks!

I think this is the way I lean, too. I know that I'm am basically lazy underneath and if I automate too many things, I will creep toward not-so-benign neglect. It seems that a routine of daily maintenance keeps me honest.

Again, though, I may change my mind if I spring for a 30G or larger. I promised my husband I would work on this one for at least six months before adding any more tanks!

And just for the record, I have nothing against ATO, I have one now. :)

I wouldn't go without one, personally. My newest tank is a 10g that I'm trying to keep as simple as possible. Literally the only equipment I'm using is a light, pump for flow, and a heater. But, as simple as I want this tank to be, I still have an ATO, albeit a DIY.

It's not about the evaporation per se, because like your tank, mine also evaporates very little water. It's about knowing that this is one part of my tank's maintenance about which I don't need to worry. Sure, topping off with 2 cups of water a day isn't a burden, and I doubt the minuscule salinity swing is bothering your inhabitants.. but this whole arrangement only works if every day, like clockwork, you're able to manually top off the tank. What happens if you have a life or family emergency that keeps you away from your tank for a week or two? Or more? What happens if this is down the road in two years or so when you have hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars worth of corals in your tank? If you're not able to maintain your tank for a week, it could be that salinity is the least of your concerns, but still, I just feel an ATO is way too important to go without.

I don't mean to sound all doom and gloom, and you're certainly welcome to do what you please. I just prefer to eliminate as many variables as possible with my tank, and an ATO helps with that. If you're looking for cheap and DIY, all you need is a $10 peristaltic pump, a $1 float switch, and an old 5VDC phone charger.

There are as many ways out there to keep a tank as there are tanks, but I agree with what appears to be the majority: an ATO is something that I will always use on all my tanks.

Very interested in this DIY, do you have a link to how its built? i'm sure i could figure it out but i dont want to miss one step and BOOM, all my money is watered down

Very interested in this DIY, do you have a link to how its built? i'm sure i could figure it out but i dont want to miss one step and BOOM, all my money is watered down

Just wire the float on the ground side (I dont think it matters you wire it it to the + side) in between the the power supply and the pump. When the float drops it completes the circuit and the pump comes on. when the the float raises it interrupts the circuit and pump turns off. just make sure you buy a properly oriented float switch.

chipmunkofdoom2

Just wire the float on the ground side (I dont think it matters you wire it it to the + side) in between the the power supply and the pump. When the float drops it completes the circuit and the pump comes on. when the the float raises it interrupts the circuit and pump turns off. just make sure you buy a properly oriented float switch.

brahma04, Sancho is right on. I'll PM you some details, but there's not much to it besides that. The benefit of using a low powered DC motor (like the one in the pump I linked to) is that you don't need a relay for safety like you do with AC pumps (some might argue it still would be useful in this case, but I tested the pump I linked to and if memory serves correctly, it was pulling about 150mA @ 5v, meaning the float switch only has to deal with 3/4 of a watt).

Sorry to threadjack lallen :D

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie question.... do you need a powerhead in the container of water supplying the ATO system? My first week with my 10g Nuvo, I made 5 gallons of saltwater and closed the lid, hoping the next week I could use it for my water change... big waste... the water didn't smell pleasant and ended up dumping it.

thx

I have a AutoAqua Smart Micro and its worth the $100 to me. I dont have to worry about always topping it off everyday and thinking about it. If your fill is 10secs longer than your first fill it will cut off so I dont have to worry about a wet house either.

Cheers

Hi skrillay0,

I was looking at this ATO and on an amazon review it says that the water container needs to be at the same height of the tank because the pump is not strong enough to pull if it is under the tank in a cabinet, is that true?

Thx

I have mines under the tank and it works just fine. You just need to put the water syphon break peice above your ato container because after it cuts off it drains from that piece.

Cheers

post-88654-0-26788400-1455925549_thumb.jpeg

I have mines under the tank and it works just fine. You just need to put the water syphon break peice above your ato container because after it cuts off it drains from that piece.

Cheers

Thanks!

Archived