Cultivated Reef

Rotifers

printerdown01

printerdown01

Ok, I have no idea why I have mentioned rotifers so much in the past two days, but I figured I would ask a question about them while they are on my mind... If one were to add these guys to a fuge would they bread if fed phyto (i.e. will they breed in the temp and water parameters of a reef tank)??

sorry for all of the posts recently, I'm waiting for college to start and have nothing else more productive to do with my time...

Although they do best at slightly lower temps and salinities, they should do fine at normal reef levels. I bred them at a SG of 1.020 and a temp of 75-80. I think the biggest problem would be food. You would probably have to add enough phytoplankton to tint the water green for several hours. Clear water means starving rotifers. They need to be surrounded by food, so a little splash of phyto isn't gonna cut it.

I'm adding quite a bit of homemade phyto to my 40 gallon tank right now. I'm up to a 1/2 liter everyday. I may continue to go higher as long as I don't see any problems from it. As of now, it barely tints the water once dispersed.

-Chris

Joyce Wilkerson's book on Clownfishes has an EXCELENT chapter on this subject. I dont reccomend many books, but this one is on my "A" List. You can get live rotifer cultures from Florida Farm fisheries online.. Im not sure of the address, but I KNOW.. if U do a SEARCH here it will come up in a thread. ttyl

UGH ! damn damn damn damn mad ! damn damn... must be ANOTHER GOOD THREAD GONE.... due to server change overs...... ugh...Im gunnah thawap CMarkes whit a wet noodle..... ITS AVITAR TIME ! hehhh...

lemme look it up ....

Florida Aqua Farms Inc. / Aqua culture supply.

Dade City FL.

(352) 567- 8540

www.aquaculture-supply.com

Also

Inland Aquatics

Terre Haute IN.

(812) 232- 9000

www.inlandaquatics.com

I personaly have used these peeps. The are nice.

Hope this helps :)

Archived