SaltCritters.com

GNT's Tank Build

GNT

Awesome. I am right behind you, my nitrites look like yours two pics ago. A blue nitrite tube is imminent I feel! As far as that Aquarium Note App, I really want it but can't find it on my iPhone app search. :angry: My LFS had me put hermit crabs in during the cycle, I didn't know any better so I did. And reference the skimmer. My tank is 24x12x16 and I think I can make it fit but still being told it will not pull much skimmate out of a 20 gallon. And I am also told if I do enough water changes I wont even need one. :unsure: ​ ​ ​

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the size you might want to hold on the skimmer and see how it goes. I have heard hermits can be a pain, but I am sure fun to watch. The app isn't an apple based one, so I couldn't download either. Congrats on the progression. I plan to do a water change tonight and get stuff tomorrow !

Ya you are not the only telling me about the hermit crabs...I don't know if I can take them back to the store or not. What exactly is the problem with the hermit crabs going to be?

Ya you are not the only telling me about the hermit crabs...I don't know if I can take them back to the store or not. What exactly is the problem with the hermit crabs going to be?

Some of the bigger ones aren't careful and knock frags over, smaller ones can irritate corals by walking over/through them, and all of them can attack snails for their shells. I've learned to keep my snail and hermit sizes different enough where there's minimal losses, and my blue legs are a little better at not irritating corals, but there's never any lasting damage. I've heard of some snacking on gorgs though.

Added a batch of livestock. Snails and Clowns. Love it!

I am in LOVE with that vertical rock. Very impressive and your clowns are too cute.

Thanks so much!!! Very exciting. Contemplating a first coral purchase. Perhaps a toadstool leather, frogspawn or torch.

They can potentially prey upon your snails for food and lodging and may impact corals. If you have them in the system already keep an eye on them and make sure they are getting enough grub. What else do you have in the system so far ?

Dan

They can potentially prey upon your snails for food and lodging and may impact corals. If you have them in the system already keep an eye on them and make sure they are getting enough grub. What else do you have in the system so far ?

Dan

Basically a Chromis and the CRABS!!! Still cycling. LFS told me to put the fish and the crabs in to cycle. Two weeks later, and I would have done it differently knowing what I know now. The fish is very active and doesn't appear to be suffering. Zero Ammonia, Nitrites are coming down and nitrates are going up. Shouldn't be long now.

Nope. On your way!!! Keep going and send us pictures!!!

Ok... Have had my fish two days now. I am certain I overfeed... Just can't help myself and don't judge, I know I am not alone! Looks like a tiny ammonia spike... Nitrite still at zero and nitrates hovering low. Will do another Water change he soon and of course monitor levels daily for a while.

As of 2/29/16

Two days after full cycle complete and first livestock adds (two small clowns and three snails).

post-90023-0-28559400-1456802631_thumb.jpeg

Simulated Fish

Nope. On your way!!! Keep going and send us pictures!!!

Ok... Have had my fish two days now. I am certain I overfeed... Just can't help myself and don't judge, I know I am not alone! Looks like a tiny ammonia spike... Nitrite still at zero and nitrates hovering low. Will do another Water change he soon and of course monitor levels daily for a while.

As of 2/29/16

Two days after full cycle complete and first livestock adds (two small clowns and three snails).

99% of api ammonia tests will never read true zero ;

Before I added the additional 6lbs of LR. And at the time I was comparing the digital thermostat to the old school floating thermostat.

nano2_zpss9xq5hur.png?t=1456752249

Before I added the additional 6lbs of LR. And at the time I was comparing the digital thermostat to the old school floating thermostat.

nano2_zpss9xq5hur.png?t=1456752249

Wow! Great looking tank! How many gallons again? (I recall 20?) Seeing any creatures/growth from the live rock?

I used live rock on my first tank and after a few months discovered a massive multi-leg fast moving and amazingly hiding worm... Rather my wife did and after hearing those shrieks I decided to go dead this time. I do miss the purple. I need some color!!

Keep up the awesome work and keep me posted on your decision for a skimmer !! Mine is pulling massive goo...

Added a batch of livestock. Snails and Clowns. Love it!

Were the clowns already paired up when you got them? My plan is to take the Chromis back and bring home a pair of clowns just like yours.

Wow! Great looking tank! How many gallons again? (I recall 20?) Seeing any creatures/growth from the live rock?

I used live rock on my first tank and after a few months discovered a massive multi-leg fast moving and amazingly hiding worm... Rather my wife did and after hearing those shrieks I decided to go dead this time. I do miss the purple. I need some color!!

Keep up the awesome work and keep me posted on your decision for a skimmer !! Mine is pulling massive goo...

I pulled out a little, white, four legged star. I believe it is called an asterina star? And there is a little hair like thing waiving around in the flow. Other than that no I haven't really spotted anything yet. Yes mine is a 20 tall and I am still undecided on the skimmer. The Reef octopus BH-90 is the leading candidate if I do get one.

They were in a pack, but appeared to be cordial and similar in looks so I picked them up.

Water parameters as of 3/2 are all good. Added a few corals:

1 - torch coral (green and pink tipped)

2 - let's get toadstool frag

I like the position of the torch, thinking about moving the leather back on the rock as I think it will grow overtime. Any thoughts? Here are some pics:

More with lights on

And a FTS

Want your opinion. Where should leather go?

post-90023-0-04139500-1456931322_thumb.jpeg

post-90023-0-73477400-1456931331_thumb.jpeg

post-90023-0-30773500-1456931342_thumb.jpeg

post-90023-0-46052900-1456931383_thumb.jpeg

post-90023-0-69443300-1456931392_thumb.jpeg

post-90023-0-10609200-1456931405_thumb.jpeg

post-90023-0-46773300-1456931438_thumb.jpeg

post-90023-0-11368800-1456931447_thumb.jpeg

What are your calcium levels at? Mine are at 380 and I think I should work toward getting them higher? And no update for me, I am still cycling...

Added a few more tank mates. Sadly the yellow watchman goby didn't last the night. Not sure what happened.. The parameters all looked good...

Could the war coral have done something to the watchman?

post-90023-0-92564200-1457212824_thumb.jpeg

post-90023-0-01973400-1457212836_thumb.jpeg

post-90023-0-33338300-1457212896_thumb.jpeg

post-90023-0-14162800-1457212907_thumb.jpeg

Archived