Cultivated Reef

Breeding Kaudern's Cardinal

Noonan

I am thinking about getting a pair when I get my 44 gallon setup. I hear they breed right? How do you tell the difference between males and females? Are their fry easy to care for?

Thanks

unfortunatley, it is extremely difficult to breed any marine fish, so do lots of homework before you start. similarly, bangaii (kaudern's) cardinals are mouth brooders, and it is impossible to sex them until one of the breeding pair appears with babies in it's mouth -- i believe that would be the male. lgreen is right, check reef central for more info. i'll buy a few off of you if you raise them. good luck!

kris_willard

I have afriend that breeds them. The male will carry the brood in its mouth for approx 4 weeks and tends to release the babies at night. If you can avoid putting them in with corals and other fish you may be quite sucessful. I am not sure how to sex these fish but I know in canada here we can actually request a mated pair from certian stores. i have read of many accounts of the babies hosting a long spined urchin for protection. Although it isnt a must it couldnt hurt. Are you planning to introduce these fish into an existing set up or are you going to provide them with their own tank? From my understanding the hardest part of breeding them is when the babies are released they tend to be eaten by larger fish as well as some corals. It is quite an amazing sight to see the babies in the papa's mouth. Make sure there is ample food in the tank once the father releases the babies as he will not eat for the 4 weeks while the babies are in his mouth. I hope that helps some! GOOD LUCK! Let us know how it turns out.

Archived