Cultivated Reef

Prawn's Paradise -3rd time's a charm!

FlamingPrawn

If anyone is in Ohio or need frags you have to go to tidal gardens! Great people and Great selection of corals! I can't wait till your tank is ready your corals looked awesome!

• 4 weeks later...
FlamingPrawn

So we've been battling quite a few problems. Long story short... well water is not good for me. I lost all my frags, my tailspot blenny jumped. Algae went rampant from the Par30 being too much light. So I made some MAJOR MAJOR changes these past two weeks.

1. Took out some of the rock

2. Started using Distilled water

3. Added Hawaiian Black Sand

4. Added Purigen & CPE

5. Stopped using my nano-mag because it picked up sand and scratches the glass (thankfully just one side a little spot)

6. Changed lights from a par30 Coral Compulsion 18k to a Solar Flare temporarily

7. Added more snails & Blue Hermits

Added an indestructible fish (hopfully). Granted he's a damsel... but a gorgeous one nonetheless :) & I've never seen them in any store ever! If anyone wants to take a guess at what kind he is before I post a picture take a shot ;)

I know I know! I'll let others guess first though. It's such a pretty fish. I hope all the changes pay off. A tank is no fun unless you can get something living in it!

FlamingPrawn

I know I know! I'll let others guess first though. It's such a pretty fish. I hope all the changes pay off. A tank is no fun unless you can get something living in it!

Well never mind. He didn't make it through the night. Absolutely perplexed at why everything keeps dying :/. But my snails and hermits are fine. It's just the fish... really want to just give up on this stupid tank right about now

Well never mind. He didn't make it through the night. Absolutely perplexed at why everything keeps dying :/. But my snails and hermits are fine. It's just the fish... really want to just give up on this stupid tank right about now

Where are you getting your fish from?

They may be unhealthy prior to you getting them.

I'm assuming that you've also tested all water parameters and they are within reason.

FlamingPrawn

Where are you getting your fish from?

They may be unhealthy prior to you getting them.

I'm assuming that you've also tested all water parameters and they are within reason.

Two different stores both were eating really well in the store and had been there for 2+ weeks.

pH is between 8.0-8.2

Alk is right at 9-10

Ammonia looks like its 0. The red sea test kit sucks

Nitrates i'll be honest I don't test

I did have a problem my pH because I was using well water ( getting an RODI this week)

The rock was dry rock when added to the tank and its been up for around 2 months.

FlamingPrawn

So caved and got an RODI unit. This thing looks like a homemade bomb... My faucet adapter will be here tomorrow :D. For now. Here's a picture of the awesomeness, an updated FTS, and some pictures form my LFS, Aquatica, and some from the Cleveland Aquarium!

GOMbTWhl.jpgRO8FHv8l.jpg5auAylol.jpg

qK7gQgzl.jpgynaA9f1l.jpgorLtEjal.jpg

IKad2aIl.jpgRW6877ul.jpgSUVWd0ul.jpg

DJzBxeIl.jpgwyI6v8Al.jpgu3FGA4bl.jpg

And this one... This is Toby, the giant Gourami... he's been around for A LONG TIME. He first belonged to my friend Joe, who sold Toby & his entire tank set up to an Asian restaurant owner. Toby stayed at this Asian place for about 4 years. When the Aquarium opened Toby was donated to her permanent home :) He's super old and didn't seem to like my Fiance.

LNprd6Ll.jpg

FlamingPrawn

Well... RODI unit it mounted and membrane will be here this week. I did a test run and yeah my TDS before the RO membrane is around 190ish. After the current membrane it knocks it down to 25-30. Hopefully the new membrane will break in and knock that # down to zero. New digital thermometer also came and I think I may have discovered why everything died so quick :( This is AFTER i bumped it up... going to take it up to around 78.

j2di6x1l.jpg

Well... RODI unit it mounted and membrane will be here this week. I did a test run and yeah my TDS before the RO membrane is around 190ish. After the current membrane it knocks it down to 25-30. Hopefully the new membrane will break in and knock that # down to zero. New digital thermometer also came and I think I may have discovered why everything died so quick :( This is AFTER i bumped it up... going to take it up to around 78.

j2di6x1l.jpg

It could be the sudden change in temperature that the fish didn't like but most fish can tolerate pretty cool water. I am running my seahorse tank at 68-70° right now and the royal gramma is fine.

Once my chiller malfunctioned in the middle of the night and my husband told me that it was running. I got up to check on it and the tank was down to 49°. I almost had a heart attack but i did small warm WCs for about 5 hours until i got the temp up to 70°. A clownfish, a purple firefish and 2 lyretail anthias all survived and i did not lose a single coral. Cold is not as dangerous as hot in a reef tank.

FlamingPrawn

It could be the sudden change in temperature that the fish didn't like but most fish can tolerate pretty cool water. I am running my seahorse tank at 68-70° right now and the royal gramma is fine.

Once my chiller malfunctioned in the middle of the night and my husband told me that it was running. I got up to check on it and the tank was down to 49°. I almost had a heart attack but i did small warm WCs for about 5 hours until i got the temp up to 70°. A clownfish, a purple firefish and 2 lyretail anthias all survived and i did not lose a single coral. Cold is not as dangerous as hot in a reef tank.

I have no idea why all my zoas died then... i've never struggled this much with a nano. Hopefully this RODI unit and now that the tank is starting to show some life things get better

I have no idea why all my zoas died then... i've never struggled this much with a nano. Hopefully this RODI unit and now that the tank is starting to show some life things get better

Zoas are tricky coral. They look like they are doing great and then for no reason they melt. Maybe your well has something they don't like so hopefully the RO/DI will help. I am wishing you the best!

FlamingPrawn

Zoas are tricky coral. They look like they are doing great and then for no reason they melt. Maybe your well has something they don't like so hopefully the RO/DI will help. I am wishing you the best!

trying not to give up... DrGibby is keeping me motivated!

FlamingPrawn

I think I made a breakthrough. We are 24 hours in with the new zoa frag and they're still open! Best picture I can get right now with the wonderful Aiptasia on it... if the frag survives a week i'll super glue that bad boy closed. Sadly I have no idea what they are. Just kinda took them after the live show

Gv2J784l.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived