Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Has anyone been stung by their corals?

Hammerstone

Didn't get a chance to read through all of these but I just got one thing to say. Never touch a torch with an open wound. JESUS CHRIST does that sting.

Didn't have an open wound, but when I moved my torch to the corner as punishment for stinging my hammer and frogspawn, it got me on the back of my hand - like a beesting but left a little red scar the size of the tip. He is staying in a corner, the little ingrate. When I need to clean his corner I now move him with tongs!

One of my rics like to sting me every when I touch it... and by sting, I mean leave a mark on my hand. It's stickier than the other rics I own :closedeyes:

Nano sapiens

One of my rics like to sting me every when I touch it... and by sting, I mean leave a mark on my hand. It's stickier than the other rics I own :closedeyes:

Pic?

Pinner Reef

It does depend a lot on the person's sensitivity and the individual coral's potency. I've been hit by Lion's and foxfaces (hard bee sting). Someone said it before but long spine urchins are really bad as they leave a piece of the spine in you hand, which is carbon based, so your body doesn't think to expel them (can still feel a few of the spines under my skin).

The absolute worst I ever got hit was when a 2' diameter, Long Tentacled Anemone I was nudging into a crevice decided to latch onto my hand/forearm. I could literally feel all the tentacles individually pierce my skin, then the thing contracted as it tried to eat my hand. There were about 5000 welts from my elbow down. The whole thing swelled to twice it's normal size and for two days my arm was in incredible pain. Worst part is I had to explain this to all the customers who didn't believe me because their LTAs never stung them very badly.

Pic?

My hand, got stung about 1.5 years ago:

25304122621_5d901e6979_z.jpg

My gf's hand, got stung about less than a year ago:

25029556779_69449dd5ee_z.jpg

I had one on my index finger, but that healed.

GoingPostal

I've finally gotten rid of all the corals in the tank I react to but it used to be every time I rearranged stuff my hands would break out-nothing while in the tank but by the night my fingers would get hives and be crazy itchy, last for a couple days. For some reason green toadstools and frogspawns just bug my skin. I've felt myself get stung by nems, my rhizo sticks to you and breaks off tentacles if you touch it, euphyllia/dendros I can feel like prickly if you brush against. This was a few years ago before I got rid of the offending corals.

arm_zps3b731e37.jpg

I'm not even sure what got me, but it left four or five small red welts that even drew platelets to the site. Definitely gonna keep wearing those gloves..

Nano sapiens

My hand, got stung about 1.5 years ago:

25304122621_5d901e6979_z.jpg

My gf's hand, got stung about less than a year ago:

25029556779_69449dd5ee_z.jpg

I had one on my index finger, but that healed.

Thanks for that, but I meant a pic of the Ric. I'm curious, since I've had Rics for decades and have never had a welt from any of them.

Didn't have an open wound, but when I moved my torch to the corner as punishment for stinging my hammer and frogspawn, it got me on the back of my hand - like a beesting but left a little red scar the size of the tip. He is staying in a corner, the little ingrate. When I need to clean his corner I now move him with tongs!

I'm sorry Newstead, but that made me LMAO!

To the Author of this Thread, Thank You! I am new to this and learning. I will definitely get myself some long Sleeved gloves.

Haven't started with any coral yet, but, just yesterday added a Largish? Feather Duster (Worm) so, handling this creature was easy, as I could handle it's Tube.

It's good reading the replies to this topic.

Thank You.

Mike

It does depend a lot on the person's sensitivity and the individual coral's potency. I've been hit by Lion's and foxfaces (hard bee sting). Someone said it before but long spine urchins are really bad as they leave a piece of the spine in you hand, which is carbon based, so your body doesn't think to expel them (can still feel a few of the spines under my skin).

The absolute worst I ever got hit was when a 2' diameter, Long Tentacled Anemone I was nudging into a crevice decided to latch onto my hand/forearm. I could literally feel all the tentacles individually pierce my skin, then the thing contracted as it tried to eat my hand. There were about 5000 welts from my elbow down. The whole thing swelled to twice it's normal size and for two days my arm was in incredible pain. Worst part is I had to explain this to all the customers who didn't believe me because their LTAs never stung them very badly.

This made me cringe.

Just wondering. I know people get stung by jellyfish but I haven't heard about getting stung by corals.

Frogspawn stings me not bad though..
EquinsuOcha

Since I have had coral in my tank I only use Nitrile gloves. Oddly enough though my arms great really red and have a slight burn to them when I mess with the tank. I believe I am having a slight reaction to whatever the corals are putting into the water... Because before I had corals putting my hands/arms in the water never bothered me.

After I am done, I will wash my arms slightly past my elbow with dial antibacterial soap and then put some lotion on. seems to help with the burning.

not sure really.

CronicReefer

I'm going to consider myself lucky and say corals don't seem to bother me at all. I have touched my frogspawn and hammer many times without even a tingle. My rics have slimed all over my fingers when moving them around with no problem either. That being said I will never touch my mycedium chalice tentacles as I've heard they can sting quite strong.

Wrenching on my bike, scrape my knuckles, stick hand in tank - ouch. Used to have a RBTA that would sting like the dickens. Also a torch. It's part and parcel of the hobby unless you are going to use gloves and I don't see how anyone can do anything in a tank with those big rubber gloves on. I do use TSA type gloves when working with a frag, such as dosing one for critters before putting it in the tank.

I had a deep cut on the back of a hand from an unrelated oops. I have a 12G long with a bunch of BTAs, one of them just wrecked my cut hand a couple weeks ago. It felt like I'd dipped my hand in oil and then stuck it in fire, it was unreal.

Thanks for that, but I meant a pic of the Ric. I'm curious, since I've had Rics for decades and have never had a welt from any of them.

Sorry, took about 5 days. I knew I forgot to reply to someone.....

Current quick cellphone pic:

25428145912_7b62fe3312_z.jpg

Same ric, but in 2014 with a DSLR:

24919998553_d1f29835ee_z.jpg

Oh yeah...palytoxin can be dangerous, but honestly it isn't that much of a problem as long as you don't boil your rocks and be doubly unlucky.

Recall that you don't necessarily need to boil a rock with zoas/palys on it to be affected.

Anyways, I'm pretty lucky in that I usually don't mess with my tank while I have a wound. I've had a few brush ups with carpet nems and they're sticky as hell but other than a mild rash I didn't have too much pain. Same with RFAs, BTAs, & maxi nems - though they aren't quite as sticky if I recall. I do take precautions generally though - if I'm going to be moving stuff around I'll fan the water above euphyllia to make them retract, same with anemones - IME if they're shriveled up I don't get stung.

Definitely the worst sting I've ever had was a fire worm. Not a coral but I touched it while moving a coral. I'm pretty sure there were tears.

I wear gloves because of allergies bit there's rumor that the reason I got optic neuritis and went blind was because I got paly toxin sprayed in them while fragging, or it could of just been an autoimmune response from getting over a cold and getting really really stoned and playing COD too long without blinking. Either way my body started attacking my optic nerves and I was blind for a few weeks until they figured it out and started me on massive steroid injections daily for a few weeks and then pills to ween me off. Vision restored most the way. Went from 20/10 to 20/2600 back to 20/30

Hammerstone

I wear gloves because of allergies bit there's rumor that the reason I got optic neuritis and went blind was because I got paly toxin sprayed in them while fragging, or it could of just been an autoimmune response from getting over a cold and getting really really stoned and playing COD too long without blinking. Either way my body started attacking my optic nerves and I was blind for a few weeks until they figured it out and started me on massive steroid injections daily for a few weeks and then pills to ween me off. Vision restored most the way. Went from 20/10 to 20/2600 back to 20/30

Wow, you went blind!!! My God I'm glad you are okay now. Sorry to hear that!!!

Wow, you went blind!!! My God I'm glad you are okay now. Sorry to hear that!!!

I too am glad to hear that u are okay! What a Scare! Thank God it was Temporary

Nano sapiens

Sorry, took about 5 days. I knew I forgot to reply to someone.....

Current quick cellphone pic:

25428145912_7b62fe3312_z.jpg

Same ric, but in 2014 with a DSLR:

24919998553_d1f29835ee_z.jpg

Getting stung by a Ric is unusual, but they do have a good amount of smaller nematocycsts.

Yesterday, I brushed my inner wrist up against my Leptastrea and for the first time received 2-3 welts. Just never know...

Yikes, that is wild. Glad everything turned out okay.

Getting stung by a Ric is unusual, but they do have a good amount of smaller nematocycsts.

Yesterday, I brushed my inner wrist up against my Leptastrea and for the first time received 2-3 welts. Just never know...

That particular ric is a bit stickier than the rest of my rics. I find it kinda odd but my neon goby who sometimes perch on it doesn't mind it.

And Leptastrea is a coral I would not think that'll sting... I figured that it'll retract its polyps instead if it is touched. But hey, sounds like it's not afraid and probably has a voracious appetite ;)

Archived