inTank Media Baskets

brain sick ?

lro67

im assuming that it didnt always look that way. if that is the case the coral bleached and dispelled its zooxanthellae. what are your water parameters esp. temp, salinity and nitrate/phosphate?

no it did not always look tihs way my perameters are fine .the temp was high 88.f. this is my first summer in my new house .last week we had a heat wave for about a week straight. i used to live in a apartment before & heat was never an issue.ive been looking into a chiller but ther pretty pricey.

uglybuckling

I have no idea if it's actually sick...but I have to say, that looks *so* unbelievably cool. It's like...glowing. I wish there were more bioluminescent reef creatures.

Anyhow...with those kind of temperatures, my guess would be it's probably dying.

--B

the brain has been like this for about a week .i have managed tokeep the temp down to 82.F. since then but stiill concernd.

if your temp hits 88 your params are not fine. the coral bleached, plain and simple. heat is the most common factor causing bleaching in the wild and our tanks as well. the heat severely stressed the coral and it expelled its symbiotic algae in an attempt to survive. it may recover, but it will take several weeks, and the whole time it will be using up its lipid reserves, as well as being more susceptible to predation, disease and other detrimental factors. my advice is to keep up on regular weekly water changes and if you have some sort of food that your particular coral will eat to feed it regularly to keep up with its carbon demands. best of luck to you...pyrrhus

Archived