Top Shelf Aquatics

First Pics - Comments Welcome

tgoodrich

Hardware:

7 gallon AGA Bow, Rio 50, Penguin Mini, 32W CSL Retro Kit

Livestock:

10lbs. LS, 13lbs. LR, 3 blue legged crabs, 1 red, 1 pep schrimp, 1 Turbo Snail, 2 astrea snails, 2 Percs

Corals:

Hammer, Brain, Colt, star polyps, and various Mushrooms

tgoodrich,

Welcome to the MiniBow gang (and nano-reef.com)! How long has your tank been set up? I like your rockwork, and cute Clowns. More pictures please!!!

Gil

Wow, cute little tank. Nice fishes, look just like mine. :D

Nice corals too. I have one of those types of brain corals too. How long has it been in the tank? It hasnt fully expanded, but then again it does take a few days for it to adjust to the new tank.

They look awesome in real life dont they? The colours on these brains corals are amazing.

Well done. :)

Hi tgoodrich,

Just noticed you are in Dallas. Coming along very nicely! Welcome to the board. There's a number of Dallas area people on the board here. Most of us are still in the early stages of our tanks, like yourself. Hopefully we'll all have a get together and trade frags at some point. Best of luck! :)

Thanks goofnut.

Where do all the Dallas reefers shop for for frags and corals? My buddy and I have found a jewel over off of Garland road called Pet Botique. Other than there, we go to either Dallas North (overpriced) or Saltwater Paradise in Irving. And for our LFS needs we go to a mom and pop shop here in RockwallRowlett called Aquatic Creations on highway 66.

What about you guys....?

I've heard some very good things about Pet Boutique, but I haven't been over there yet. I'll have to be sure to stop by there soon! I live very close to DNA, and IMO it's over-priced as well. I get my water from them and, and that's about it. I bought my perc, 3 astreas, and yellow polyp rock from them, but I don't buy much else there.

I like the setup over at Planet Pet in Bedford, and they have some nice stuff over there. Saltwater Solutions is NOT a very nice store, but their fish looked to be in great shape. Their corals were somewhat decent, but under-lighted, IMO.

Petland on FM 3040 (off of 35) has some decent livestock. I went over to Saltwater Paradise for the DFWMAS meeting recently and liked their coral selections. A bit pricey, but not horribly bad, I suppose. They offered a 35% discount to DFWMAS members on that day, and I would have bought some corals had my tank been ready for them.

Pet Palace (close to DNA) actually had a couple of decent corals in their holding tanks. I was surprised, as the store was in the process of moving at the time and their fish selection was virtually nil. The best option I've found so far (especially for nanos) is to purchase small frags from local tank owners or trade for them. In a couple of months, I'd like to get a frag trade organized. Hopefully I'll have some nice frags to trade by then :)

Oh yeah, one other option I forgot to mention... If ordering online, it's convenient to combine orders from several people in the area to save on shipping charges. For example, ross76053 is ordering some LR and LS from palmettoreefs.com. I need 2lbs of LS, so I just asked him to include that on his order. That way I can just meet him and pick it up and I'll save a bundle on the shipping charges. SO, if you need a small quantity of something, post it here and maybe someone either has it or can accomodate your needs on an order they're making :D

-Almost forgot... http://www.dfwmas.com has a trading post where people routinely post items for sale or are breaking down their tanks and looking to offload LS, corals, LR, etc. You can get some pretty good deals and nice stuff that way (I hear). I'm hoping that everyone on the board here will attend a DFWMAS meeting (don't have to be a member to attend) and bring LS from their tanks so we can all trade.

Hey Goofnut,

Sounds like we have the same "rounds" of stores!

I was at Saltwater Paradise that night too. I had to leave early though. Its right down the street from my office. The place is small but if you have questions, the owner has no problems spending time with you and answering all your (my) questions. At first he seems to come off a little harsh, but, I think that is just the way he is...He is always helpful with me. And like you, I would have bought a couple of things if my tank had been ready for it. My buddy couldnt make it that night so he went during the day and the owner gave him the same discount for the "pitty factor" :-) - we go all the time at lunch.

I have been to Saltwater Solutions too. You are not kidding. You can tell he gets all his busness from internet sales. The dude that works there (owner?) wont speak to you unless you ask him a direct question and then he makes you feel like you are bothering him just by being in his store. The fish werent that great and the corals werent either. He must stay alive from out of state internet sales, which wouldnt happen if the average out of state person could see his store. I wont buy anything there!

Pet Boutique, im opinion is great too. The "main" fish dude will talk a little too much but he seems to be pretty knowledgeable and once you get his attention, he is all yours. Not to mention, if you buy a couple of different things, he knocks 5 dollars of here, 5 there, 2 here and more there and a couple of extra here, "Because I remember you".

I tried to stop in Pet Palace one night after leaving DNA and they turned off the lights as I was parking, I dont get off work until 7 so I have to race to all the stores. I never got to go in before they moved. Where did they move to? I would like to check it out. BTW, DNA is moving too. Down the street a little, to a store about 3 times the size. I dont buy much there, too expensive, but they are helpful with questions. Its kinda weird, their livestock and supplies are expensive but I bought a smartlight retro kit there for cheaper than I could get it on the internet, what is that about?

60 bucks for the kit.....didnt expect that! I guess its like Sam's Club, there are deals to be found, if you can find them!

Ok, thats enough! just thought I would give my 2 cents worth for the reefers in the dallas area.

PS.

The next best thing to being there, is bringing it to your home!

Hey! Finally I see someone with the same kind of coral as me. I have the same colt coral as the one in the 8th picture. The purpleish/bluish one at the top of the tank. I was afraid mine was dyed blue or something. What do you know about it? Any special care?

Nice tank, by the way.

Oh, and these star polyps are new also. Im curious what the growth rate is with star polyps. How long, typically, before they start to encrust further on the rock its on? Would fragin a few smalls pieces and placing them apart a few inches help speed the process?

The Colt is that dark color because I had just mounted him on that rock and it hasnt opened back up yet. When fully opened it looks like a dark pink.....

Archived