Innovative Marine Aquariums

Calcium level help

tkpsimon

hi guys,

I just have one stupid problem, maybe you guys would never have to worry about it.

I have a 20 long, with a 10 refigum, I have a pagoda, red open brain, candy, Xeina, flower pot and some mushroom.

here is the question, what is the best way to keep a stable calcium level when you are not home for about a couple days in a role every month. i just always have to go to business trip and no body can take care the tank for me. beside getting a calcium reactor, do i have any other options? do you guys out there has any suggestion? i would really appreciate it. thanks in advance.

Simon :D

Get an auto top off system and mix in kalk with the top off water. If you are using chemicals you can try searching on e-bay for peristaltic pumps or infusion pumps. The infusion pumps can be programed for exact dosage of a liquid.

you can try a cheapo method of super dosing your topoff water and iv drip it at a semi-controlled rate the couple of days you'll be gone. (it's what i kinda do for my office nano) ;) just gauge out the 'super dose' over the amount of time the drip will take to empty completely.

the auto is definitely better and more accurate but $$$

Dripping kalk off water would be ideal... you would get the Ca and alk, and you would have evaopation covered as well... You can get a Kent Aqua Doser for around $20 that is all ready to go...

wooo thanks for all the reply, i didn't realize people would be so nice up here! dripping Kal would be great idea, i'm currently use B-IONIC for my calcium, which use two parts. and i have a separate fresh water resovior

one question though, i can switch temporately to use Kal, but are they hard to use, i mean difficult to get a accurate dosing?

so if i have a fresh water float valve, i can just add the Kal inside the resovior right? what do i need to pay attention at when i'm dosing kal?

hope i could get some great answer same as before, thank you very much for all the valuable suggestion, i really appreciate it.

thanks again :D

Float valves, top off systems, I know nada...

But when dosing kalk with a drip system, I find it easy to control, plus the kalk (which really can affect your pH in larger doses) is very slowly added, keeping things very stable and resisitant to large swings or dramatic changes--always a good thing with reef aqauria...! In fact, I think kalk has a saturation point in water, and I have a hard time getting a super strong solution made. After sitting for a few hours, it seems like only so much kalk mixes into solution and the rest precipitates out and settles to the bottom...

Archived