Cultivated Reef

ADA 60F rimless shallow reef

Mangimi

Tank looks awesome Mangimi! Sorry I missed the initial posting.

How are you liking the setup so far? Sorry that you have some gurgling. I get it once and awhile too usually after a water change or fiddling with a filter or something but I've been able to fix it within a few seconds. I'm sure once you get adjusted to the style and nuances of your own tank you should be able to get everything dialed in and have it be silent 24/7.

Your plumbing parts look unique. What country are you in and where did you find those fittings / screens? They don't look the one available in the US.

The aquascape looks great, very clean. Are you concerned at all about the amount of flow in the tank, seems a bit low?

Hi, thanks for your comment. You're right, the flow is quite low. Depending on the time since last cleaning of the pump I'm able to create a flow of 15-20 times the aquarium volume per hour. Elderly literature claims 10-20 times as perfect, these days I think 30-40 times is considered as great. But that depends on the stocking. Since I only have easy corals the flow doesn't seem to be an issue. I'm not planning on adding any more (delicate) SPS, so I think it's fine. You even find quite strong flows on the left site of the tank.

Tank looks awesome Mangimi! Sorry I missed the initial posting.

How are you liking the setup so far? Sorry that you have some gurgling. I get it once and awhile too usually after a water change or fiddling with a filter or something but I've been able to fix it within a few seconds. I'm sure once you get adjusted to the style and nuances of your own tank you should be able to get everything dialed in and have it be silent 24/7.

Your plumbing parts look unique. What country are you in and where did you find those fittings / screens? They don't look the one available in the US.

Hi Scorched, I feel flattered that you like my tank as you have been the motivation to build this one. I love this setup and I don't ever want anything else. I love that there is almost nothing unnatural in the tank.

The gurgling noise stopped btw. I fixed the overflow hose on the stand a little bit more up than it was before and the gurgling stopped. Every 15-20 seconds or so a little air bubble pops where elbow and hose meet, forced by the flowing water. I only hear it when I lay in bed and sleeping is a problem haha :D

All the plumbing comes from Germany. Unfortunately PVC plumbing is usually only available in grey, sometimes in black, but not really in white or red as the nice stuff you guys have. The elbow is just a 90° PP peace with 1" outside thread and a plastic nut on it. I covered this nut with a 50mm (inner diameter) PVC cap, that I cut to shape and extensively sanded to create a matt finish. The screen is from the german company 'Aqua Medic', initially it was pretty ugly just as any peace of casted plastic is. I had to cut a bit off and to sand it quite long to create a matt finish there as well. I also cut out some of the screen rips to create more flow through.

The inlet peace comes from the italian (?) company 'blau aquaristic'. I also cut a bit of the inside tank part because it was sticking out too much.

Wow I love the scape. Gorgeous tank!

Thanks man, feedback is much appreciated :)

Archived