Top Shelf Aquatics

Who drips kalk?

Noonan

It means so many teaspoons per gallon of freshwater (top off water)

I drip kalk 24/7 out of a 44 gallon container. I love it! Makes all my topoff for a month. I use an entire can of kents kalkwasser mix in 44 gallons of ro/di water, along with about a cup of vinegar (to add more calcium to the limewater)

Do you have any pics of your tank? Im either thinking of setting up a 10-15 gallon tank, or just getting a nano cube. I mainly want to drop kalk for coraline algae but since it will be good for the corals too I might as well.

When dripping kalk, what should your calcium levels read?

you shouldn't drip it without a pH monitor IMO..

basically there is no one formula that works across tanks, your evap will be different, as will your load. you need to figure out (trial and error, plus testing and keeping a log) what your tanks needs are.

ie, if you have high evap but a low load the 1 teaspoon per gallon might keep everything in check, but with a higher coral load you might need 2 teaspoons plus some vinegar.

My total tank volume is around 25 gal and I add about 1 gallon of kalk mix per day. I drip kalk via an auto top-off (about 1/4 to 1/3 gal per day), this is mixed 2 teaspoons pickling lime + 30ml vinegar per gallon of RO/DI. at night I dose kalk from a different container (3/4 gal per day), it contains 5 gal RO/DI + 5-6 tablespoons pickling lime + 1 cup vinegar.

I aim to keep Ca around 420 and Alk around 12.

YMWV :-)

-skeletor-

Originally posted by trmiv

I'm about to start dripping it later this week.  we'll see how it goes.

Are you going to make a DIY Dripper?

• 3 weeks later...

I used a gatorade lid to make the same type dripper in the link above.

I like the gatorade bottles because you can get 20, 32, 64 and 128 ounce size bottles that all use the same cap. You need to find a bottle size that matches your evaporation rate.

I use the 32 oz size on my 45 gallon corner tank.

I make 7 bottles of kalk on Sundays and then just use one per day. When I make kalk I shake it up good, cap it and let it sit at least over night before you use the first bottle.

I put 1/2 teaspoon of Ball's pickling lime (calcium hydroxide, kalk and picking lime are all the same thing.) That's the same dose as 2 teaspoons per gallon. Any more than 2 teaspoons per gallon of topoff water are a waste. That's the saturation point.

You can add 5 ml per gallon of white distilled vinegar to;

1) Get more calicium or 2) to lower the pH some.

You need to monitor calcium, pH and alkalinity while dosing kalk.

If you are using 1 teaspoon per gallon and your calcium level drops, you may want to go to two teaspoons per gallon. If that's still not enough to keep you calcium up, you can add vinegar.

Let's say your calcium is fine at one teaspoon per gallon, but your pH goes too high, to can add vinegar to help lower it.

You need to make sure the calcium is right before you start. Kalk only maintains calcium. You can use calcium chloride, like Kent's Turbo calcium to give it a boost when needed. Just don't mix it with kalk.

The best time to start the drip, at one drop per second, is at lights out. That's when the natural pH drop starts.

Archived