ReefCleaners.org

First DIY attempt

GobyMan

hmm i seem to remember awhile back reading multiple threads about this topic... the consensus then seemed to be that it was better to go with red leds under the pretense that the animals were not able to "detect" red light and therefore would not be disturbed by it. anyone heard of this? i like the effect of the blue light..

Originally posted by LEEWINK

hi guys, hey, these moonlights look cool from here, a couple posts up from this one is a list of piccies, one is of a boxed looks like ' ready to run ' system, whos this made by, just thinking i may be able to get here in england if its a large global type company, otherwise its off to the drawing board or electrical store.

cheers,

lee :) :)

hello LEEWINK... if you're talking about my pictures then the LED is made by HI-LITE and can be found at walmart. i'm not sure if you have walmart in England... but if so, you probably can find this product. good luck :)

Originally posted by flaunt

hmm i seem to remember awhile back reading multiple threads about this topic... the consensus then seemed to be that it was better to go with red leds under the pretense that the animals were not able to "detect" red light and therefore would not be disturbed by it.  anyone heard of this?  i like the effect of the blue light..

yes this is correct... fish cannot detect the red spectrum. so alot of people use a red light for night viewing. the reason some people use red over blue... is because if the blue is too bright, it will disturb the fish and corals. otherwise there is nothing wrong with using a blue light. it adds a great effect for night viewing and can also help in fish spawning and such. basically, just make sure that if you use a blue light, it's not too bright. hth, peace :)

Ive used both red and blue extensively. I have seen no reall differance in behaviour. Just make sure the blue is subtle.

here is a "blue" pic of my living room..... I leave the PC actinics on all the time on some tanks. I have seen 19 hour photoperiods and great response in growth.... not reccomending it, but just saying Ive done it.

pic, Hehehhehe eheehe NOTICE NEW additions in bucketts on the floor ! WOO HOO ! Unfortunately this pic is like 8 months old and the living room has lost the 75, and in place of it, a book case.

BUT The 40 Long is NEW in my back room WOO HOO ! (eah... had to appease "Da Boss")

hi jcrew, (anyone)

regarding hi lite moonbeams.

i think ive found it here in england, is it this :-

" Miracle Beam Hi-Lite Module - Blue "

please, please be it,

dying for your answers,

yes, i believe that you've found it LEEWINK. you'll have to do some cutting and rewiring yourself to be able to plug the LED into the wall. read my directions on one of my earlier post... along with some pictures to help. good luck, peace :)

hi ross, i would love to post some pics but have no camera, i decided in the end to buy whats known over here in custom-car as 'beamers'.

Basically its two bracketed led's which can be mountable with double sided tape (on them already), they can be angled too to suit.

I played with them last night (earlier) on a temperary 12v transformer to see the effects, i shone one from outside the tank upto the surface of the tank and one inside the hood down diagonal. The effects were shimmering on the rear glass (result of one outside tank) and the beam in tank to bottom, the spread of light at the bottom is about 5 inches which is perfect.

Looks very cool and effective, but i'm saving all my improvements for my reset probably toward christmas as i've still to buy my 150 watt halide and some other bits, who knows maybe a digi-cam too. I'm also planning a plenum system and weirs for surface skim and suction too,

cheers,

• 4 months later...

The system comes with 1 blue and 1 green LED. I know I wished for the same color....but you can by the extra bulbs in different colors. I went with all blue. Someone said that they do not make red, but like everything i think you can modify them. Oh ya they can be completely submersable.

Archived