Cultivated Reef

Second Biocube build just going to very different from the first one.

Teecs

Update

So did a leak test had a few issues but managed to fix it all... But the big issue was the loud sump drain .... I could not find a way to lower the noise ... I'm in a stand still ask I don't know if I want to do a reverse durso at the sump it might fix the noise .... Or just drill another hole and go with the Herbie method but would require a lot of work with moving pluming around but I'm going to see what I decide

That is a cool idea to turn the biocube into a rimless tank. I never saw that done. I guess it seems stable to you or you would not be continueing.

Sorry you are running into drain noise. That can be very annoying. Is it the constant trickle noise or actually the sucking toilet flush noise?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a cool idea to turn the biocube into a rimless tank. I never saw that done. I guess it seems stable to you or you would not be continueing.

Sorry you are running into drain noise. That can be very annoying. Is it the constant trickle noise or actually the sucking toilet flush noise?

The noise is coming from the drain in the sump like a water fall .... I know what I have to do I just really don't feel like re doing all my pumping to get a Herbie done smh should of listen to everyone that told me to go Herbie in the beginning

The noise is coming from the drain in the sump like a water fall .... I know what I have to do I just really don't feel like re doing all my pumping to get a Herbie done smh should of listen to everyone that told me to go Herbie in the beginning

Yes, re-work is no fun! O well, live and learn.

So I decided to go ahead and switch over to the herbie method instead of just a durso due to noise... This is my mock up as of now need one more trip to lowes I forgot a elbow for the bulkhead to attach th emergency drain.. Will bet glueing everything tomorrow

Not as clean as I wanted but did not want to redo everything so it will work for now

FD121A51-3792-490D-9731-42F226E76097.jpg

4E580E72-00D0-462C-B5AF-3825EAED08EB.jpg

337175EE-0B51-4E23-8E33-435BD3DA5E5D.jpg

So crappy thing happen during my final gluing of my plumbing I cracked the tank.....

Long story short I tripped slammed in to the bulkhead with the pvc cutters and crack

So this happen a few days ago I was going to quit the build but the wife pushed me to find another way around the issue

First plan is buy a replacement biocube but there out of stock and could not find anyone that had it in stock.. So that was a fail

Then I found one on Craigslist which was super rare since I live Alaska and things are very hard to find local..... But I did find another one ..

Now it's time start over with this tank ? But for now it's going to have to wait till I get back from training so I will get back to it next month

Here is some pics

C3A579B2-70D6-4209-AA9A-294978B4D567.jpg

Pic of the biocube getting cleaned out

45E2DBBD-CB36-4B53-89AF-EFFAAC3FD513.jpg

Simulated Fish

So crappy thing happen during my final gluing of my plumbing I cracked the tank.....

Long story short I tripped slammed in to the bulkhead with the pvc cutters and crack

So this happen a few days ago I was going to quit the build but the wife pushed me to find another way around the issue

First plan is buy a replacement biocube but there out of stock and could not find anyone that had it in stock.. So that was a fail

Then I found one on Craigslist which was super rare since I live Alaska and things are very hard to find local..... But I did find another one ..

Now it's time start over with this tank But for now it's going to have to wait till I get back from training so I will get back to it next month

Noooooooooo! Man that really sucks! Glad you found a replacement. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Just look at this last tank as a "trial run"

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the tank crack!

I have a 29 and have thought about removing the rim.

How difficult do you think this would be with a tank fully stocked and running?

Any advice?

Thanks!

Finally back and ready to get back to work on this project...

As you can see I started the long process again for going rimless. I also decided to take off the false wall. Since I noticed the back chambers had a lot of stagnate water.

A71BE8B4-772E-4741-A4F3-3E270E98EB2C.jpg

5782FAE4-8EEF-46B1-8F9A-8975FD2C7B7F.jpg

Lastly,I got my skimmer in and pic up my lights tomorrow.

22A3853D-3D5E-4FAD-B86D-14A52EEC77FA.jpg

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the tank crack!

I have a 29 and have thought about removing the rim.

How difficult do you think this would be with a tank fully stocked and running?

Any advice?

Thanks!

Honestly now that's this is the second time I go rimless I would say it will be a pain in the butt if I have live stock..

The silicon get everywhere also u might need goo-off to get the clean look. Not really something you want the livestock to be exposed to.

But I have seen people do it before

Simulated Fish

Finally back and ready to get back to work on this project...

As you can see I started the long process again for going rimless. I also decided to take off the false wall. Since I noticed the back chambers had a lot of stagnate water.A71BE8B4-772E-4741-A4F3-3E270E98EB2C.jpg5782FAE4-8EEF-46B1-8F9A-8975FD2C7B7F.jpg

Lastly,I got my skimmer in and pic up my lights tomorrow.22A3853D-3D5E-4FAD-B86D-14A52EEC77FA.jpg

Yeeeessssss! Glad you didn't throw in the towel! Good call on ditching the back wall, why did you scrap the back though?

Yeeeessssss! Glad you didn't throw in the towel! Good call on ditching the back wall, why did you scrap the back though?

I really did not scrap much just enough to remove the wall ....:.

Got a lot done today....

Drilled the biocube

Painted the back wall

Finished the rimless process

D3C6A4C0-6841-444D-A54B-D8E1E9AFDC16.jpg

A7C9E955-C593-497C-9B74-D90FF2F140C7.jpg

ED5A1085-6901-4015-8EF3-3E629CE72ABF.jpg

D9B1EC08-FFAA-42B6-BA2D-E670129D3D9C.jpg

Now I'm going to clean it and seal the overflow box

1708FA75-9B03-4BD2-A67D-7E1179082E80.jpg

CronicReefer

Looking even better the second time and you're going to have a lot more space without that wall in there.

Damn that light is sexy lol! Can't wait to see it in action....now you have me second guessing myself about keeping my good and going with the Nanobox led retrofit.......

Damn that light is sexy lol! Can't wait to see it in action....now you have me second guessing myself about keeping my good and going with the Nanobox led retrofit.......

Thanks I agree the light looks super nice ......

Looks great! Good to see some one else taking the rim off of their BC! I have also done the rimless/hoodless route and I think it looks fantastic! I would also say that this is not something you want to do with the tank full of water and live stock. The rim is not easy to get off.

Last night I did my final mock up of the new plumbing, this is where I am now ....

F9D9AEFB-311D-498F-A53F-C28B0CBB433C.jpg

77CBA668-3F27-4F09-8B60-4E9ED8110DDB.jpg

3EAF978D-99F5-4CD6-9072-D6757F2BE471.jpg

And here's an update on my 14g biocube it's doing pretty well other then a little red slim showing up but I think it's cause I had a few crabs and snails die off

9DE5B0EA-5107-4D4D-A52B-E2D3F5D6F81D.jpg

That system is bad ass! Like the little added filter on the return above the sump, very interesting, can't wait to see this thing with water in it!

Simulated Fish

That system is bad ass! Like the little added filter on the return above the sump, very interesting, can't wait to see this thing with water in it!

That is the BRS mini reactor, I run carbon and GFO in mine and LOVE it! really makes life easy.

so I'm done with the aquascape for now ...and started my cycle can't wait till its time to stock the tank up

299D8925-4D2B-49FA-B001-9EDD9DA6C816.jpg

15BF84BE-A966-48C4-80F3-01914395F9BC.jpg

E1C67443-0186-45FF-A9F9-50133C739BCB.jpg

1B23118E-9D30-425F-8F4B-E43D40979149.jpg

The tank is starting to clear up now I'll take more pictures when it does .... Side note the xr15 look great

Archived