Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nick's CAD Lights 11g Reef now with RBTA!

Nixperience

I finally got my new tank for Christmas and got everything transferred. I've been trying to get this built as streamlined as possible for a sumpless system since this is the limits to what I could have without winding up divorced.

Tank: CAD Lights Zen 11g

Filter: Aquaclear 70 - InTank Media Basket, JBJ Nano Glow Fuge Light

Flow: Ecotech MP10qd

Skimmer: Tunze 9001

Light: AI Prime

Heater: Hydor Theo 50w

ATO: AutoAqua Smart ATO

Controller: ReefKeeper Lite

Livestock:

Black and White Ocellaris

Orange and White Ocellaris

Striped Cleaner Shrimp

Sexy shrimp

Pom Pom Crab

1 Blue Leg Hermits

2 Nassarius

3 Astrea

3 Cerith

Mini-Maxi Carpet Anemone

Rainbow Bubble-Tip Anemone

Corals:

2 Hammer

Birdsnest

Purple rimmed green montipora cap

Forest Fire Digitata

Duncan

Blastomussa

Candy cane with Zoa colony attached

Green Toadstool

Orange Ricordea Yuma

Blue Ricordea Florida

Green Star Polyp

Current FTS 05/05/16

411B657B-CC8D-4325-832C-4B0FF9720399_zps

02/12/16

FishTankvalentine_zps6jvohixk.jpg

FTS 01/23/16

A894296B-5928-47DF-BEDF-660D9CDC8261_zps

FTS 12/26/15:

FishTank_zpss4de94wb.jpg

Pic of placement of the tank in kitchen:

46CAC582-D524-4874-8A45-724FDAD4CAD7_zps

No cycle. Everything stayed submerged during the transfer, so no die off. All same live rock and some old sand. 10 lbs of new sand and 8 gallons of new water. Corals have been happy. Going to pick up fish later today. Lfs has had a female black ocellaris and regular male in a solitary tank for a month for me.

Picked up the black and white Ocellaris and the normal one. I saw a purple rimmed green monti cap and I had to get that too. I'll update my FTS later after baby goes to sleep.

040050A4-475A-44AC-BEE9-14175696BD28_zps

Nice!

Will be following as I have been looking at these tanks.

What's your impression of the silicone/seam work?

It's a nice tank. Not perfectly lined up. About 95%, but the silicon is very clean. I really like the dimensions as its a little more cubey than a standard 10 gallon.

I took the glass lid to have 5 inches cut from the backside, but he glass place said if it was tempered, it couldn't be cut. They cut me a new piece of glass for $3. Now the front half of the tank is covered and will cut down on evaporation, but there is plenty of open space for air flow.

36A5FF9A-7948-44E0-99F0-D23B47A986F8_zps

even tho my tank has a black background, i really like our tank with a nice blue background.

Makes the so much brighter and vivid! ;)

how to do like your tunze? is it silent?

i'll have to bring it back to my LFS tomorrow as it's too loud+magnet is not working. :wacko:

hope they replace it and hope i get a silent one this time :lol:

even tho my tank has a black background, i really like our tank with a nice blue background.

Makes the so much brighter and vivid! ;)

how to do like your tunze? is it silent?

i'll have to bring it back to my LFS tomorrow as it's too loud+magnet is not working. :wacko:

hope they replace it and hope i get a silent one this time :lol:

I wanted the blue because it pops more and feels like a deeper space.

The tunze is pretty quiet. The foam isn't too thick though and it's kind of watery. Maybe my system is just too clean at the moment.

Everything is still doing great! That skimmer is really keeping things clean. I'm feeding the fish 2-3 times a day because the nutrient levels are so low and I have not had a problem yet. I just added a small 1/2 pound piece of dryrock to the scape, but it is so white right now, it looks a little weird. I'll do a new FTS in a week or so.

Very nice! My freshwater tank lives in the kitchen until I find a buyer - but kinda like it there. It might just end up permanent.

Did you epoxy/glue the rocks in place or are they gravity mounted? Is it for purely aesthetic reasons that you went with two mounds vs. on larger centre mound or is it strategic?

Thanks guys.

Very nice! My freshwater tank lives in the kitchen until I find a buyer - but kinda like it there. It might just end up permanent.

Did you epoxy/glue the rocks in place or are they gravity mounted? Is it for purely aesthetic reasons that you went with two mounds vs. on larger centre mound or is it strategic?

I epoxied the largest piece of rock and the rest are fit together without any bonding. The scape is mostly aesthetic placement, but it creates a lot of little coves for fish to hang out in. Even though they chill near the Powerhead most of the time.

Looks so good! How do you like the footprint now that you have things in place?

I keep trying to decide between this and the 20x13 15g. More volume is always nice but the structured crazy in me likes the 1.5x1x1' of the 11g even though it's actually shy of 12"

Your layout makes it look a lot bigger than it is. Well done.

I think it's perfect. I couldn't have fit anything larger in that space. I like that it's a little deeper than the standard 10 gallon so it's not as tight with scaping. I have this thing at capacity with hardware and couldn't fit anything else on this tank without a sump. Skimmer is working great and I finally managed to get the tank a little dirty. I was overfeeding the crap out of the tank to test how much it could handle and I reached its limits. I could probably have 3-4 fish in here, but I'll stick with the 2 clowns.

I added a small Duncan in the back middle today. Just a 2 head frag. I took a crappy iPhone FTS just to update. I'll take a better one in a few weeks for the monthly FTS.

3AF93E93-61D4-4FCB-9726-F00345AB7F05_zps

B3AD9DE7-6910-49A6-9E47-B061091C7CEF_zps

• 2 weeks later...

I've been comparing photos and it looks like in a months time, my toadstool almost doubled in size, the gsp got more full, the monti is getting noticeably bigger, and the Birdsnest is thicker. The yuma ricordea has split off a new one and my cleaner shrimp has molted twice.

Calcium: 460-480

Alk: 8-9

Magnesium: 1350

Nitrates: 0

Phosphates: 0

PH: 8-8.2

Salinity: 1.026

Temp: 79

So I know my tank is on the small side for a BTA, but my parameters are very stable, I'm on a good dosing schedule, getting lots of coralline growth, there are lots of open spots for it to settle in and grow. I know it may sting some corals and kill them, but I want it to be the main feature of the tank and anything else that survives is a bonus.

Just waiting for the perfect specimen.

Archived