Cultivated Reef

BRS vs B-Ionic supplement question

HarryPotter

Hi BRS,

So my typical 1g containers of B-ionic Ca and Alk supplement have run out and I am debating whether to switch to BRS or not.

The B-ionic 1g Ca and Alk set is $34

The 1 Gallon - BRS 2 Part Total Package is $80

At first glance I thought why switch since B-ionic is cheaper, but after looking at the pictures I notice that you are selling 1 gallon of the actual powders, not 1 gallon of the liquid like B-ionic does. Therefor I assume your 1 gallon 2 part package (POWDER) makes much more dosing solution than the 1 gallon b-ionic (LIQUID).

How many gallons of Ca and Alk liquid can your "1 Gallon - BRS 2 Part Total Package" make?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I found this on your site, but wasn't sure this is accurate:

Question: How many times would I be able to refill the jugs with each of these kits?

Answer: HI David,
Its a bit different with each, but assuming the 1g kit (large kit) there is 16 cups in a gallon so thats about 6 gallons of calcium chloride, 8 of the alkalinity solution and 3 of the magnesium solution but youll have some dry reagent left over.

This is a bit difficult to compare but I do think that BRS ends up being cheaper. Specifically with the BRS Calcium, I prefer to use the B-Ionic. I originally started with B-Ionic but switched to BRS because I thought it would be cheaper (still think it is). The issue I have is with concentration. You need to use nearly twice as much of the final product (once you mix the powder with water) in order to get the same result.

Ca Example: In order to raise 35 gallons of water from 400 ppm to 440 ppm, you need either 87.5 ml of the B-Ionic Ca or 143.2 ml of BRS Calcium Solution

When it comes to Alk, it is actually the opposite. You need more than double the amount of B-Ionic Bicarbonate in order to get the same impact as BRS Soda Ash mix.

Alk Example: In order to raise 35 gallons of water from 10 dKH to 10.5 dKH, you need either 12.5 ml of BRS Soda Ash Solution or 33.7 ml of B-Ionic Bicarbonate.

You can probably go into detail and figure out which one is actually cheaper by comparing price per 1 dKH raised but frankly I don't feel like dealing with all of that math, haha. Obviously the same could be done for Ca.

In regards to how much each one can make, just go by the recipe. For Alk, you need to mix 2 cups of dry Soda Ash in order to get 1 gallon of the final solution. For Ca you need 2.5 cups of the dry calcium chloride in order to get 1 gallon of the final solution. So for a gallon of dry soda ash, you should be able to get 8 gallons of the final mix. For a gallon of the calcium chloride you should get 6.4 gallons of the final mix.

On a side note, I am not a huge fan of the BRS Soda Ash. I only have one tank so I can't really compare but it tends to precipitate really easily if you add too much at once. My Mg is at 1360-1400 so that isn't the issue but I have to very slowly add the BRS Alk solution directly into powerhead using one of those 10 ml syringes. With the B-Ionic I had no issues whatsoever. Thankfully for Christmas I got a Jebao DP-4 so I will be able to split up the Alk dose and not have to worry about it.

This is a bit difficult to compare but I do think that BRS ends up being cheaper. Specifically with the BRS Calcium, I prefer to use the B-Ionic. I originally started with B-Ionic but switched to BRS because I thought it would be cheaper (still think it is). The issue I have is with concentration. You need to use nearly twice as much of the final product (once you mix the powder with water) in order to get the same result.

Ca Example: In order to raise 35 gallons of water from 400 ppm to 440 ppm, you need either 87.5 ml of the B-Ionic Ca or 143.2 ml of BRS Calcium Solution

When it comes to Alk, it is actually the opposite. You need more than double the amount of B-Ionic Bicarbonate in order to get the same impact as BRS Soda Ash mix.

Alk Example: In order to raise 35 gallons of water from 10 dKH to 10.5 dKH, you need either 12.5 ml of BRS Soda Ash Solution or 33.7 ml of B-Ionic Bicarbonate.

You can probably go into detail and figure out which one is actually cheaper by comparing price per 1 dKH raised but frankly I don't feel like dealing with all of that math, haha. Obviously the same could be done for Ca.

In regards to how much each one can make, just go by the recipe. For Alk, you need to mix 2 cups of dry Soda Ash in order to get 1 gallon of the final solution. For Ca you need 2.5 cups of the dry calcium chloride in order to get 1 gallon of the final solution. So for a gallon of dry soda ash, you should be able to get 8 gallons of the final mix. For a gallon of the calcium chloride you should get 6.4 gallons of the final mix.

On a side note, I am not a huge fan of the BRS Soda Ash. I only have one tank so I can't really compare but it tends to precipitate really easily if you add too much at once. My Mg is at 1360-1400 so that isn't the issue but I have to very slowly add the BRS Alk solution directly into powerhead using one of those 10 ml syringes. With the B-Ionic I had no issues whatsoever. Thankfully for Christmas I got a Jebao DP-4 so I will be able to split up the Alk dose and not have to worry about it.

So all in all the BRS 1g kit produces for Ca more but at half the concentration, and for Alk less but at 2x the concentration?

I think I will stick with what I know and trust, B-ionic. No measuring and I wouldn't have to change my dosing schedule. Thanks for the detailed explanation!

So all in all the BRS 1g kit produces for Ca more but at half the concentration, and for Alk less but at 2x the concentration?

I think I will stick with what I know and trust, B-ionic. No measuring and I wouldn't have to change my dosing schedule. Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Yup. Kind of weird how that worked out but that's what I've found. I really do like the B-Ionic stuff but I like just having to buy the big 1 gallon containers of the BRS. Mixing/measuring is incredibly simple which is nice. The biggest draw for me though is that it comes as a dry powder instead of pre-mixed. This saves a ton of storage space and I don't have to worry about packages getting stolen (they leave packages at my apt door and I've already had one package stolen).

In the end, if you're happy with B-Ionic then don't bother changing it. It works great.

Isn't 1 gallon of alk is $33.99 at brs?

No that's 1 gallon of Ca AND 1 gallon of Alk

GDI Harry just pick one and tell us why

B-ionic. One of the cheapest and so that I don't have to screw with dosing. Stick with what works and KISS

No that's 1 gallon of Ca AND 1 gallon of Alk

B-ionic. One of the cheapest and so that I don't have to screw with dosing. Stick with what works and KISS

This ME Coral stuff is 11.99 for each of the powdered versions, which make 1 gallon. Are they not as concentrated as the B-Ionic? Seems like they're less expensive.

P.S. I don't remember if you discussed this earlier in the thread and I'm tired so I'm not scrolling through it, lol.

The ME Calcium is $17.99 for a gallon and the B-Ionic Calcium is around the same price (have seen it for as low as $16.95). The difference is in the concentration. According to the ME Calcium description, you need 100 ml of the ME Calcium solution to raise 100 gallons from 400 ppm to 410 ppm. Using the reef calculator below, in order to make that same increase in calcium you only need 62.5 ml of the B-Ionic Calcium. So not only is the B-Ionic slightly cheaper, it is a higher concentration.

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

[update]

For the BRS, you need 102.3 ml of the BRS Calcium solution. Here you also have to take into account that you are buying the powder and not just one gallon of the solution. 1 gallon of BRS Calcium Chloride is $19.99. After mixing, this 1 gallon of calcium chloride will make you 6.4 gallons of actual solution. In the end, BRS ends up being way cheaper.

VW_TDI_02, on 28 Dec 2015 - 11:15 AM, said:VW_TDI_02, on 28 Dec 2015 - 11:15 AM, said:

The ME Calcium is $17.99 for a gallon and the B-Ionic Calcium is around the same price (have seen it for as low as $16.95). The difference is in the concentration. According to the ME Calcium description, you need 100 ml of the ME Calcium solution to raise 100 gallons from 400 ppm to 410 ppm. Using the reef calculator below, in order to make that same increase in calcium you only need 62.5 ml of the B-Ionic Calcium. So not only is the B-Ionic slightly cheaper, it is a higher concentration.

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

[update]

For the BRS, you need 102.3 ml of the BRS Calcium solution. Here you also have to take into account that you are buying the powder and not just one gallon of the solution. 1 gallon of BRS Calcium Chloride is $19.99. After mixing, this 1 gallon of calcium chloride will make you 6.4 gallons of actual solution. In the end, BRS ends up being way cheaper.

I've been using the BRS 2-part for at least a couple of years now and have been very pleased. I find it to be very economical as compared to the other options. I used to use Bi-Ionic but found it to be too costly. I buy the BRS pouches of Alk and Ca for $5.00 which makes 1 gallon of solution.

Side Note... I also have the Jebao DP-4 doser and it is doing a very good job. Can't beat the price point for its' features it offers.

I've been using the BRS 2-part for at least a couple of years now and have been very pleased. I find it to be very economical as compared to the other options. I used to use Bi-Ionic but found it to be too costly. I buy the BRS pouches of Alk and Ca for $5.00 which makes 1 gallon of solution.

Side Note... I also have the Jebao DP-4 doser and it is doing a very good job. Can't beat the price point for its' features it offers.

I bought a gallon of each dry mix and have been pretty happy. The only issue I have is with the BRS Soda Ash because you need to add it incredibly slowly or it will precipitate out (my Mg is at 1400). Before I got the Jebao I had to dose it very slowly and directly into the powerhead. Using the Jebao I haven't had any issues so far but I only set it up yesterday.

I do wish the Ca mix was a bit of a higher concentration. I have to dose 64 ml of Ca every day and only 24 ml of Alk every day. Ca was only dropping I think 20 PPM too.

Hi BRS,

So my typical 1g containers of B-ionic Ca and Alk supplement have run out and I am debating whether to switch to BRS or not.

The B-ionic 1g Ca and Alk set is $34

The 1 Gallon - BRS 2 Part Total Package is $80

At first glance I thought why switch since B-ionic is cheaper, but after looking at the pictures I notice that you are selling 1 gallon of the actual powders, not 1 gallon of the liquid like B-ionic does. Therefor I assume your 1 gallon 2 part package (POWDER) makes much more dosing solution than the 1 gallon b-ionic (LIQUID).

How many gallons of Ca and Alk liquid can your "1 Gallon - BRS 2 Part Total Package" make?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I found this on your site, but wasn't sure this is accurate:

Question: How many times would I be able to refill the jugs with each of these kits?

Answer: HI David,

Its a bit different with each, but assuming the 1g kit (large kit) there is 16 cups in a gallon so thats about 6 gallons of calcium chloride, 8 of the alkalinity solution and 3 of the magnesium solution but youll have some dry reagent left over.

Yup, that statement is accurate. A one gallon jug of our powders will make multiple mixed gallons of solution. I've used both, but I still prefer the BRS products. The chemicals are very pure and are simple to mix up, plus you don't need to pay for water weight when shipping, but that's just my preference.

Archived