inTank Media Baskets

1 gallon (.33 gal fuge, .66 gal tank) update!

1fish2fish

thats the smallest plate ive ever seen...that thing cant be bigger then a quarter:o

And damn nice tank

all it needs is a tiny red head goby:

• 2 weeks later...
3gEclipseGuy

That looks awesome. I don't understand how to get different types of corals onto a same piece of rock. i.e. Pocillopora damicornis with a few zoo's, and others. How do you do that?

Yes, that is a float switch. I got it from floatswitches.com (I think that's the place). I have it hooked up to a battery operated air pump that pressurizes a bottle filled with distilled water. THe switch works great. I make sure that I clean it with distilled water ever time I change my water just to be 100 % sure that it won't stick due to salt creep. I went with a battery powered pump simply because the switch itself is rated for DC power. I know that there has ben a number of depates here as to whether it is a good idea to use these switches on AC. It might be, but as this tank is at my place of work I REALLY don't want to risk burning down the building.

The topoff has been running for about 5 months or so and so far Ihave not had to change the battery. I think that I'll probably change it every 6 months though just to be safe.

3gEclipseGuy...

I use super glue gel to attach my corals to the rocks. I simply rempove the piece of LR (with everything attached). blot the spot I wish to attach to dry with a piece of paper towel. Put a drop of Super glue gel on the dry spot. Place the rock back into the water to make the glue skin over. I then blot the bottome of hte new coral frag dry with a piece of paper towel. Put a drop of super glue gel on the dry spot and place the coral int eh water to make the glue skin over. I hten pull the rock and the coral out, blot the glue spots dry with paper towel and place another drop of glue on the LR spot. I then attach the frag and set it back into the water. Voila! I have a new frag on the same rock.

A big bonus to haveing my frags glued is that the snails don't knock them over.

:)

I wouldn't recommend using super glue for mushrooms or ricordea. You'll probably end up killing them. FOr those guys just take a piece of bridal veil and hold them down to the LR. THe reson I can get away with glueing hte zooanthids is that when I remove them from the parent colony I make sure that I scrape off soem of he rock they are attached to. That way I'm glueing the flake of rock rather than the soft tissue of hte animal. Just take a razor blade or similar edge and scrape into the LR under the zooanthid. If you get yourself some zooanthids that aren't attached to anythig at all you can jjust place them in a small dish (a cut off single serving yogurt container will work) filled with crushed coral. Cover this with bridal veil and then let them sit for a few weeks in the main display. THe zooanthids or even mushrooms or ricordea will attach to the crushed coral substrate. You can then pick out the individual animals and glue the crushed coral they are attached to tot he spot you choose.

Archived