Cultivated Reef

Feeding the tank...

Sahin

Hi, I'd like to know the different kind of feeding regimes everyone uses for thier tanks.

Due to having a cleaner shrimp and two clownfish in my tank, I feed them everyday using Hikari Marine-S.

I also add a few drops of Kents Microvert every few days. I have now also began feeding Frozen brine shrimp with added Spirulina. Every few days.

I am on the lookout for DT's Phyto, but so far cant find a source for it in the UK.

I'd like opinions on what to feed based on what I have and how often please.

I did search the forum but couldnt find anything concrete to answer my questions.

Am I going in the right direction?

Is there anything I should change regarding the feeding? Anything else I should add? Is my feeding adequate or too much?

Thanks.

printerdown01

Sorry, I don't know what Marine-S is, lol. I feed my clown with "Prime Reef" a frozen food that contains the following (reading the lable obviously) shrimp, clams, zoo-plankton (E. pacifica and E. superba), spinach, seaweed, mussel, lobster, fish roe, and scallop... It has also been vitamine fortified. I feed with this stuff a few times a week. I use very little when I feed (i.e. I do not drop a whole cube in my tank!). I just started feeding with DT's phyto. I feed this when I feed with my regular food. -I too am interested in everyones responses... Thanks for posting this Sahin!

*as long as you do not exceed your fishes ability to consume food in the first 3 minutes of feeding you will be just fine... The fact that you have a cleaner shrimp will help (if you have hermits or bumblebee snails they will consume most of the left over food).

I have a pair of Percula clowns, plus sps corals, softies, shrooms, clams, hermits, snails etc

The clowns are fed every day - and I alternate between Tetra Marin flake, frozen Mysis, frozen brine shrimp, live brine shrimp and frozen Gamma shrimp plus they eat the 'pods in the tank.

I also add Korallin S+ once per week, Marine snow every day (till it's used up as general opinion says it's not much good ?)

And am currently culturing my first batch of phytoplankton (have bought live from LFS in the past).

Incidently I used to feed the fish every other day, but have not noticed any increase in nutrient levels since increasing to daily - still monitoring though - although 'pods etc have definitely increased in numbers.

I feed sparatically to try and mymic nature. Ok so maybe I'm just lazy and feed when I feel like it.

Fish/Shrimp foods varry with each feeding:

-Hikari Freeze dried Ocean Plankton

-Hikari Freeze dried Daphnia

-Hikari Freeze dried Brine Shrimp

-Hikari Frozen Brine Shrimp

-Hikari Frozen Mysis Shrimp

-Hikari Marine-S pellet food

I also have been adding 10drops of Kent Microvert every 2days.

I want to start adding live phytoplankton and brine shrimp if someone could tell me a good way to raise it.

Thanks for the replies so far, lets keep em coming, I am sure such info will help others as well as me.

I really thought I was underfeeding the tank in general, not just the fishes.

I will now be feeding the frozen food every other day, though small amounts.

I feed my clown and peppermint daily, alternating with:

Tetra Marine Flake

Hikari Frozen Mysis Shrimp

Wardley's Freeze-Dried Tubifex worms

Sally's Frozen Brine Shrimp

Sometimes I mix two or more of the above for a day's feeding

I have some sargassum growing on my rocks (and almost NO other algae -except small amounts of valonia and lots of coralline, of course) in the tank for the 5 hermits. I noticed the red-legged hermits getting hungry and eating the sargassum, so I decided to start dropping small pieces of algae chips in there to supplement their diet a bit until my new lighting can help them out a bit.

I also feed DT's every 2 or 3 days for the flame scallop. The yellow polyps seem to be enjoying it as well, as they've puffed up quite a bit since I started adding it.

My tank isn't super-heavily stocked, so I try to feed 1/3 or less of a frozen cube on the days when I use them.

Well, when I got my ocellaris, I decided to feed him twice a day -- a crumble or two of Nutrafin's "Marine Complete" food (making sure he got at least one of the crumbles). But he got hollow-bellied! So now he gets a crumble about 3-4 times a day, plus a couple of bits of OSI's spirulina (+shrimp) flake. I'll occaisionally drop in a fd bloodworm or piece of fd plankton for him, too.

Otherwise, the tank gets about 1ml of MicroVert and PhytoPlex two or three times a week. I turn off the powerheads (and confuse the clown), and use a dropper to target-feed the corals.

Archived