Top Shelf Aquatics

Synchiropus Stellatus - Breeding

Jaqueline

Hello everybody

I was recently able to buy a pair of Synchiropus Stellatus. To my surprise they were not shy at all, adjusted very quickly to their new surroundings and even ate frozen artemia right from the start. Now to my question: Has anybody been able to successfully breed this wonderful little fish? I am highly interested into this topic and would be glad for any information that I can get. :)

Thanks in advance,

Jaqueline

ORA used to raise Mandarinfish (Synchiropus splendidus), but unfortunately stopped. There wasn't a strong enough market for them as wildcaught ones were so much less expensive and more readily available.

People do regularly have dragonettes spawn in their aquariums. Sponsors Pieces of the Ocean just posted a video a few days ago of some Ruby Reds getting it on in their system.

If you want some specific information on breeding this fish, I suggest you check out some of the forums for marine fish breeding, like this one.

Red Scooters are supposedly one of the hardest to rear. All the dragonets being hard as hell to rear. They're eggs hatch fast and the larvae is teeny tiny even for marine fish.

My wife is currently attempting to rear Synchiropus moyeri (Ruby Red). We have a few new that are 8-10 days old. Couldn't find them yesterday so they may have already died.

Getting them to spawn is the easy part if they are well fed.

We also have a Synchiropus Splendidus (Mandarin) that have spawned a few times. So far haven't managed to get their larvae to live long at all.

jedimasterben

My wife is currently attempting to rear Synchiropus moyeri (Ruby Red).

I believe that the rubies that have been coming in are a different species than S. moyeri. The typically associated name is Synchiropus sp. 'ruby red' :)

Archived