SaltCritters.com

Having a difficult time setting up the Bluefish, suggestions?

Newtybar

Currently have it set up:

Morning

• Start - 9:00am
  • Length - 90 minutes
  • Ramp - 30 minutes
  • Channel 1: 50%
  • Channel 2: 10%

Midday

• Midday Ramp - 30 minutes
  • Channel 1: 80%
  • Channel 2: 10%

Evening

• Evening Length - 90 minutes
  • Evening Ramp - 30 minutes
  • Channel 1: 10%
  • Channel 2: 0%

Night

• Start - 6:00pm
  • Ramp : 30 minutes
  • Channels 1 & 2: 0%

So...I don't quite understand the logic. According to what I am thinking, morning should begin ramping up at 9:00am and last until 10:30am, then midday ramps for 30 minutes, then stays midday until evening, which begins 90 minutes before 6:00pm (4:30pm) with a 30 minute ramp and lasting until 6:00pm when the lights turn off.

That's not quite happening....basically it seems like the only setting that matters is midday...evening never occurs...the blues pretty much stay on at 80% until 6:00pm.

Can someone explain the system logic to me?

Do you have the dynamic photoperiod set w/ sunrise/sunset?

Those override the programmed morning/evening respectively and purely use midday to simulate a natural sunrise/sunset bellcurve.

You have Natural Sun enabled.

I did, what does this do?

Do you have the dynamic photoperiod set w/ sunrise/sunset?

Those override the programmed morning/evening respectively and purely use midday to simulate a natural sunrise/sunset bellcurve.

I turned off the Dynamic Sunrise and Sunset because they were doing what you stated.

Thanks guys!

jedimasterben

I did, what does this do?

According to this BRS video the blues matter much more when it comes to coral and that the other colors of the spectrum matter a lot less - whether they contribute to PAR or not - magenta, green, etc.

Do you agree with this?

Natural Sun ignores all settings except Morning start time, night start time, and midday intensity, and adjusts the light automatically.

I do not agree with BRS. PAR is not a weighted measurement. The photosynthetic pigments used by corals can take in light across nearly the entire visible spectrum and beyond. A royal blue photon has the same photosynthetic value as a deep red photon, despite the blue having 50% more energy.

Natural Sun ignores all settings except Morning start time, night start time, and midday intensity, and adjusts the light automatically.

I do not agree with BRS. PAR is not a weighted measurement. The photosynthetic pigments used by corals can take in light across nearly the entire visible spectrum and beyond. A royal blue photon has the same photosynthetic value as a deep red photon, despite the blue having 50% more energy.

Good to know. I edited that part out because I was planning on putting up a new post entirely on the matter, but I think you got it covered

Archived