inTank Media Baskets

Retro Hybrid recomendations

davy jones

Hello Dave, I planned on sending you a PM about this but i figure if i want to know the answer maybe others will as well.

As you know i have the Red sea Reefer 250, which is 36"21"20" I am running a Mixed reef and so far everything seems to be doing okay, But my question is what do you reccomend for Intensities for best growth?

Right now i have ati blue+ purple+ true actinic and blue+ for t5 bulbs and i run them for 6 hours a day. Then I have the LED's (6 pucks) on for 10 hours a day.

Morning: Length 120 Minutes. Ramp 30 minutes. Channel 1,2,3 (blue channels) 55% Channel 4 (white) 20%

Midday Ramp: 45 Minutes. Channel 1,2,3 (blue channels) 65% Channel 4 (white) 30%

Evening: Length 150 Minutes. Ramp 30 Minutes. Channel 1,2,3 (blue channels) 55% Channel 4 (white) 15%

Now im aware that parameters and stuff effect growth as well as the lighting. But since you are the master of your lights i figured id ask your opinion on what i should shoot for in intensities.

jedimasterben

Set Morning start time. Ignore all ramp settings.

Set Night start time at 12 hours after your morning set time. Ignore all ramp settings.

Set your Midday intensities. Ignore all ramp settings.

Enable Natural Sun.

Run one pair of T5 for a few hours and then the other pair for less, like 4 hours and 2 hours, or 6 and 3, etc. Ensure that your corals can tolerate this much light from the get-go excluding the LEDs.

done.

Dave did the retro for me so all 4 bulbs are either on or off. As for using natural sunlight what does that do for my tank in terms of lighting changes? I know that you and others definately know more than me but i would like to know why this is your reccomendation so i might learn something from this haha

jedimasterben

Natural sun does automatic dimming. Keeps the same look throughout the photoperiod.

Not sure why all four are on a single circuit. that is a shitload of light to have hit all at once.

Natural sun does automatic dimming. Keeps the same look throughout the photoperiod.

Not sure why all four are on a single circuit. that is a shitload of light to have hit all at once.

Not sure either, Ask dave.. He did the unit for me, I thought that was normal for his retros. Is that going to be harmful to the tank?

jedimasterben

Not sure either, Ask dave.. He did the unit for me, I thought that was normal for his retros. Is that going to be harmful to the tank?

If your corals can handle it, then they'll be fine. Four under great reflectors are still damned strong, even at the distance you have.

It is normal. The LEDs come on first ( like the one bank of T5s that are linked to two bulbs ) and then the T5s come on.

Personally I do it a little different from Ben.

• I find a morning and evening color you prefer. I normally like more blue. Your current settings look fine for this. Ramp time is up to you.
  • Find a midday color with the LEDs & T5 on. I personally like mine more white midday. It is more "real".
  • Keep T5s on for ~ 4-6 hours. I have some customers only run them 3 and others 8. It really is what works for you!

There is no real "easy" way to tell someone the magic number for there tank. If things are looking good in your tank leave them for a bit. Do you have any access to a PAR meter?

-Dave

I dont have access to a par meter but i think im gonna go a month or so at my current levels and see how everything looks than maybe continue to raise intensity.. And if everything is colored nice and growing good i wont raise it at all :) Thanks guys.

Archived