Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What matters most

Guillermo Monroy

Guillermo Monroy

When it comes to aquarium lighting, I know very little so I want to know if someone can please explain what matters most wattage or the temperature (K) of the light the bulb is capable of producing. Also I want to know if it is possible to keep an anemone and even SPS coral under a 65w 50/50, 65w Actinic 03, and two 65 10,000k power compacts.

They both matter...but I'd put intensity (wattage) over spectrum (bulb temperature) in my ranking system. As far as if you have enough light or not...it sounds like you've got quite a bit..what size tank is it over? As much as I hate to say this (as someone who preaches the gospel of the metal halide), you should have enough light to try your hand at SPS keeping with 4X65w bulbs..

Cheers,

Fred

iwould go with color temp. wattage is good but with light you should focus on energy level and spectrum. 100 watts will do no good if it is at the energy level/color temp/ that an animal or plant cannot use. 100 watts of 4k color temp is of no use to deep water corals. 50 wats of 10 k would be more useful. in reality you should not seperate the two. you need both proper color temp and intensity. no matter what color temp you use you need the proper watage inorder for the light to penetrate down to your animals.

Archived