Pod Your Reef

24 x 18 x 24 custom all in one cube - added the devil damsels!

leedaly52

Few higher quality pics of the tank now I've figured out how to do them! Will get the DSLR out once I've got some more coral in.

20160103_115910_zps3eff5oih.jpg?w=480&h=

20160103_115859_zpsf9zpxxwe.jpg?w=480&h=

20160103_115849_zpsifvxexag.jpg?w=480&h=

20160102_203738_zpsnos44xx3.jpg?w=480&h=

Looks like an awesome build! Just a FYI with a solid acrylic top that thin you will almost certainly get extreme warping. If you can get something thicker it would do a lot better but might still warp. Look into the range of 6-9mm

Definately right about the warping. I've been flipping it over every couple of days wich then flattens it, but this will shorten the life of the acrylic I'm sure.

It's only temporary though as I am having an oak lid built for the tank as we speak

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful! Excellent acrylic work and I love the clowns hosting Xenia

Thanks harry. Really happy with the acrylic work and they way it turned out. Love those clowns too, took them ages to host anything. Planning to add some more corals soon but not sure on fish yet. Want a citron or green clown goby tho

• 2 weeks later...

So the tanks been up and running for about a month now and about to add my first new livestock addition. Picking one of these guys up from an LFS on tuesday. Green clown goby.

greenclownGoby3.jpg

That barnacle rock (with the cave) is wonderful!! Was it made or did it just come that way!!

Thanks,it's just 3 pieces of rock balanced very carefully!

New ato unit arrived today! Hopefully get it installed on the weekend. Need to get a resivoir sorted, but might just use an old protien powder container or food storage box as I've seen some do. Any recommendations?

20160201_173552_zpsmoevb58p.jpg?w=480&h=

this tank looks great so far.

Thanks!

Added the green clown goby today along with 4 nassaurius snails and 4 true turbos. Hope to get some pics once the goby has settled in.

• 3 weeks later...

So a few months back I had said I was getting a lid for the tank made as I wasn't happy with the look of the open top and the light unit, so I had my dad build a lid for the aquarium. It finally arrived today and the light unit has been fitted. I think u will all agree he is a quality craftsman! Very happy with it all.

20160224_201630_zpsigw3iwwu.jpg?w=480&h=

20160224_201658_zpsjg8sx87f.jpg?w=480&h=

I other good news, I'm also coming out the other side of the new tank uglies. The diatoms and red slime algae have started to die off and the rocks are completely clear of it now and just a few diatoms left on the sand.

Unfortunately I will have to now leave the tank on autopilot for 2 weeks as we are on vacation. I have tested it over the last 2 weeks letting it almost run itself except for a few frozen feeds and reef roids that it won't get whilst I'm away. Thankfully the ato hasn't run dry, and the water has had no parameter swings, so I'm quite confident about leaving it for 2 weeks. Wish me luck!

• 1 month later...

New frags that I got yesterday from a local reefer. Finally taken the plunge and giving some SPS a try even though i was adamant this would be an LPS and Softie tank!

Not the best pics as light was still quite low. will update with some better shots when i have more time.

Seriatopora

DSC_0435_zpsxyvnvcx6.jpg

duncans

DSC_0451_zpsocjseo1p.jpg

blue blastos

DSC_0452_zpsr6hotcnt.jpg

Red digi

DSC_0438_zps2hr6aqec.jpg

Red plating monti

DSC_0439_zpsdmosf9q5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Few pics after the WC yesterday. Sps frags doing well except I had a small accident with the plating monti....might have snapped it in half ?

20160403_211037_zpszmqmapfy.jpg?w=480&h=

20160403_211002_zpsr0hnwa5v.jpg?w=480&h=

• 2 weeks later...

Added some new fish this weekend. 3 yellowtail damsels.... I know, I know, devil fish, spawn of Satan blah blah blah... but so far they have been great, they have mixed in well with the clowns and goby and don't even fight amongst each other. Each fish has a rock that they hang out at and just chill and the Other fish come and go without a problem. I will be keeping an eye on them and have a spare nano I can put them in if they bully anything.

I've heard mixed stories about them, some good, some bad but it all boils down to personal experiences. I will see how they go and won't hesitate to get rid if they cause issues, tho they are my wife's favorite fish...

In other news, I finally stopped the micro bubbles in my tank after nearly 3 months. Turns out the plate inside my tunze 9004 wasn't mounted high enough and causing the casing to sit slightly out of line. Hopefully my monti digi will be happier now as I noticed poor pe on the side that gets hit by the bubbles.

Anyway... devil fish pics!

20160410_165941_zpswkpv51mn.jpg?w=480&h=

20160411_200535_zpstn0fprq9.jpg?w=480&h=

20160410_193648_zpsny1rjqad.jpg?w=480&h=

Archived