ReefCleaners.org

So I think it's time to add Lime!

ajmckay

I always used wired LDD drivers and a low output PSU for testing arrays

Probably not a bad idea...

I made a little battery pack with 2 AA's to test the regular LEDs but this is new territory. I'm pretty stoked. Even my 5 year old is excited hehe... I was telling her about LEDs and it piqued her interests a little bit - well, at least until I gave her the bubble wrap they came in.

So I got the Vero, a Coralux PCB for mounting the new surface mount LDDs, and a few other things ready....

Just waiting on My StevesLEDs order.... Kinda bummed because I ordered it all on 11/30 and it's been almost 2 weeks and it's still not here!

I'm going to go nuts if it's not here tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

I'm also doing a re-scape. Tonight I started siphoning out sand. Going to replace the oolitic stuff I have now with some larger "special grade" aragonite/gravel. Currently I can't turn my RW-8 above level 2 because I get a sand storm. Also adding new rock.

So I got the Vero, a Coralux PCB for mounting the new surface mount LDDs, and a few other things ready....

Just waiting on My StevesLEDs order.... Kinda bummed because I ordered it all on 11/30 and it's been almost 2 weeks and it's still not here!

I'm going to go nuts if it's not here tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

I'm also doing a re-scape. Tonight I started siphoning out sand. Going to replace the oolitic stuff I have now with some larger "special grade" aragonite/gravel. Currently I can't turn my RW-8 above level 2 because I get a sand storm. Also adding new rock.

I placed and order with Stevesled's on November 27th and it was shipped las Monday (12/7). It seems he is pretty busy with lots of orders these days

Yeah sounds about like my order. Took some time but the good news is that I got it yesterday ?.

The weekend is too far over to do anything but next weekend I plan on moving the leds around and finishing the programming for a 5 channel typhon.

• 2 weeks later...

IT'S ALIVE!!!

1222150122_HDR_zpsqlhvbgxj.jpg

2 clusters of:

1 4000k neutral white (vero)

8 Royal Blue

3 "cool blue"

3 lime

2 Cyan

3 hyper violet

1 true violet

Haven't added the 5th channel to be able to run the limes yet, but that's coming pretty soon.

I'm liking the light so far. The white blends well and most noticeable taking out red has significantly reduced the edge banding effect.

So hopefully tonight or tomorrow I can finish the programming to get those limes working.

On a side note I found out that I screwed up the way I wired up the LED strings back in early 2013... So I took the (+) & (-) of each cluster (remember drivers in the middle) and connected them both to a single LDD in the middle. So I was basically running 2 strings of LEDs wired in series in parallel. When I thought I was pushing 600ma (60% power to white channel for example) I was really only pushing 1/2 that as I understand it.

So while I thought this thing was bright before - it was only 1/2 as bright as it could have been. The new array is wired correctly with each channel wired in series (just a long wire connecting the clusters) except the Veros, which are wired in parallel so they each only get 350mA as per the earlier post in this thread from JMB.

Archived