Cultivated Reef

Deep Sand Bed

BettWalker

Hi, I have a 10gal glass established SW tank and want to SLOWLY convert to a Nano Reef. Would like to do a deep live sand bed. How deep would be best? Should I do the bed before putting in the LR?

Thanks,

Bett:)

hi bett, i would suggest to go for three inches and at max four.

To answer the bit about what to add first - personally its choice, myself i would add the rock first (maybe with supports over the glass base, egg crating - light diffuser, would guarantee no split bases. Obviously depending on how you set your rock to start, you may not even need, only if you create say a corner area maybe).

Then add your sand around it carefully, thus allowing all fauna's from both live rock and sand to intergrate with each other easily.

I would probably use a lesser grade rock below sand level aswell, as you would be, hmm, not so much wasting good rock underneath, but it would not make any odds to use high grade in this area.

With an already established tank (water) if you can, reset with the water left in, maybe switch filtering off while you complete, but try to keep it short.

Last one, isn't it great to have help so easy, i'm quite new (10+mths) but i still will ask questions, just remember were all here to help (if i can i will), have fun and enjoy, lee :)

Thanks, Lee. Yes it is great to have help. I have a 55gal FOLR tank going, but made a mistake and placed copper in the tank and haven't got rid of it thus far. (some say I never will) :*(

So decided I would have a little fun in the smaller tank.

Cuprisorb. By Seachem . Use it in a whisper filter. It is amazingly good at removing copper. If you have even a trace of copper, dont use anything from your other tank in your nano. Sand, rocks, coral skeletons and decorations (plastic or otherwise) will re leach the copper into your tank.

Archived