Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fish For My Nano Cube

Noonan

Hey Guys,

I am planning my Nano Cube.. and I was just wondering what you thought of my fish list.

-Clown Goby

-Yellow Headed Jawfish

-Green Mandarin

How would that be? I am worried about getting the Mandarin since Ill have to mess around with feeding it- but I guess its worth a shot.

if ur worried about feeding the mandarin. dont get it. imho, they deserve special attn. and alot of patience and work. not too mention too many fish in < 9 gallons.

Good fish selection. I have all of those fish besure that when you get the jawfish that you have plenty of substrate as they burrow and alos be prepared fo the jawfish to make multiple burrows before it settles on one. I have a mandarin as well he is doing well but I think I got really lucky my mandarin started eating frozen food immediately besides what he picks off of the rock. I have some pictures of my tank in a thread called 'fish number' in the beginners discusion section. I would also suggest cutting overflow teeth above the top vent goin into the first compartment ,plug the top vent as well, it does a great job skimming the surface. Good Luck

3 is too many fish for that small of a tank. And you would have to be extremely lucky to have a mandarin survive a year in nano.

Settle on 2 small fish, they will be happier and heathier... and you will be less likely to have algae outbreaks do to the excessive bio load (not to mention the additional food you would be throwing in).

Originally posted by Jawfish4

Good fish selection. I have all of those fish besure that when you get the jawfish that you have plenty of substrate as they burrow and alos be prepared fo the jawfish to make multiple burrows before it settles on one. I have a mandarin as well he is doing well but I think I got really lucky my mandarin started eating frozen food immediately besides what he picks off of the rock. I have some pictures of my tank in a thread called 'fish number' in the beginners discusion section. I would also suggest cutting overflow teeth above the top vent goin into the first compartment ,plug the top vent as well, it does a great job skimming the surface. Good Luck

How many inches of sand would be good? I dont want to over it.. Would 2.5" be ok?

Originally posted by scd

3 is too many fish for that small of a tank. And you would have to be extremely lucky to have a mandarin survive a year in nano.

Settle on 2 small fish, they will be happier and heathier... and you will be less likely to have algae outbreaks do to the excessive bio load (not to mention the additional food you would be throwing in).

I can understand that. Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by Jawfish4

I also forgot to ask. I need something that is VERY hardy. I love fish - and I can take care of just about any species (bred seahorses for years).. but I like keeping hardy fish. When I have difficult fish and I get attached to them, Im a bundle of neves.. Always checking on them and checking the water params. Haha.

Jawfish eat just about anything right?

I never had a jawfish so I can't be any help there, but I have had my tank-bred ocellaris clown for over 5 years... So I can vouch for the clown as being a hardy fish... Supposedly they can live for 10 years so I'm not giving myself a medal or anything... yet : ).

Archived