ReefCleaners.org

Bad Hitch Hiker Right?

4Runner2003

4Runner2003

This I belive this is an emerald crab. And I am also assuming he is a bad crab... I knew he was in the rocks but only saw him once. Well after running my canister filter to clean up the water, I had to move some rocks. After a couple of hours looking at how clear the water was, here he was out of the rock in the sand.

Should I get rid of him? I think he is pretty cool looking...except for those claws.

crab2.JPG

crab.jpg

coralreefer

i have a hitchhiker similar to yours on my florida rock, red in color. is a voracious algae-eater (of red algae). won't banish it to the sump til it proves a "bad guy".

Phiche Master

study his habits, make sure he is not damaging the coral, polyps closing is natural...then make a decision. Ive never seen one of those guys, but agree that its not an emerald

newbiecarlz

yeah i have one that eats my red macro algae!! the same black claws but more red in body colour. mine is pretty shy, he was a hitchhiker too but probably a different species since he came from australia..?

4Runner2003

Thanks for the input. I'll keep an eye on him (when I can find him) He does usually stay in the rock and you never see him.

No that is a misconception IMO. Study the behavior so see if it is a threat. Some people have had bad experiences with emerald crabs so it is not the best idea to judge on primarly by species.

4Runner2003
Originally posted by revance

It sure looks like he is drooling staring at those polyps... I hope he isn't a "bad" crab, he looks pretty neat.

Yeah when I first saw him looking at my polyps...grrrr, but when I watched him, he was eating the copepods. Since I have plenty of copepods, I wasn't too worried.

He is a cool looking crab, so I will keep an eye on it and if he isn't harming anything, I'll keep it. Guess I will name it Harry ;)

Archived