Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fragging Duncan Coral

CoolGuy77

I have a duncan coral that is in desparate need of a fragging. I've never fragged a duncan before so I was wondering if anyone has any advice. I've read some articles and watched a few videos, but am still a little nervous to pull the trigger. I have a dremel tool with a diamond cutter. I read that I need to be careful about cutting flesh, however from the looks of it, the Duncan attached itself onto the original frag plug so I would have to cut some flesh to frag it. Has anyone had a similar experience where they fragged a duncan that was way overgrown?

I have a duncan coral that is in desparate need of a fragging. I've never fragged a duncan before so I was wondering if anyone has any advice. I've read some articles and watched a few videos, but am still a little nervous to pull the trigger. I have a dremel tool with a diamond cutter. I read that I need to be careful about cutting flesh, however from the looks of it, the Duncan attached itself onto the original frag plug so I would have to cut some flesh to frag it. Has anyone had a similar experience where they fragged a duncan that was way overgrown?

If it is large enough to frag, there should be enough skeleton to make a cut without being close to flesh.

I've fragged Duncan a few times using the dremel method. Usually I irritate the Duncan in the tank to make it close, make the cut on an area with no flesh, give it a brief wash down and then back into the tank.

You can glue it to rubble as well

Thanks! Maybe it's not the flesh what I'm looking at. I don't mean the part that is green with tentacles, It looks like there is brown flesh that grew over it's entire skeleton, but maybe that's not something I need to worry about. Not sure if you know what I mean, I'll try to post a picture tomorrow morning when the tank lights are on.

So I got impatient for morning, I got some pictures with a flashlight so hopefully you can see what I mean. If not I will get more in the morning.

post-21654-0-64746900-1446614859_thumb.jpg

post-21654-0-67019600-1446614864_thumb.jpg

post-21654-0-61245900-1446614868_thumb.jpg

If it is large enough to frag, there should be enough skeleton to make a cut without being close to flesh.

I've fragged Duncan a few times using the dremel method. Usually I irritate the Duncan in the tank to make it close, make the cut on an area with no flesh, give it a brief wash down and then back into the tank.

You can glue it to rubble as well

I've used a dremel tool to works well

So I got impatient for morning, I got some pictures with a flashlight so hopefully you can see what I mean. If not I will get more in the morning.

that's flesh. dry rock (I know it was once alive, but is not now) is what you cut. if yours grows like mine you still got about 6 months before you can frag it...

I have one like that, doesn't really branch out no matter how long you let it grow, just spits out new heads and gets bigger. I have been successful fragging it. First time I cut it was on the porch, left two frags laying on the floor and went inside to get something. Came back out an only one frag was there. The dog got the other one. Guessing around a half hour later, probably longer I found it in the back yard covered in dirt and the skeleton was cracked. The dog was fine, thought I might have some explaining to do at the vet. Cleaned off the frag, glued to plug and it was fine, broken skeleton and all. The places where the frags were cut off the mother grew new polyps.

Last Friday I took the Duncan to the garage(no dogs there) and took the dremel to it. I got a few 2-3 head frags off clean then got greedy and went for more. Ending up using the bone cutter to finish off some of cuts and smashed the skeleton on a couple frags. One piece the polyp was split down the middle and only tissue was holding it together. Squeezed the polyp back together with fingers, glued it to a frag plug and it's still alive expecting to make a full recovery.

This has been my experience with it, I wouldn't hesitate to take the dremel to it again. On another note if you want a Duncan that branches trade a few frags at the LFS for one that branches

Yes there are two kinds of Duncan's. Branching and no . I've crushed Duncan polyps when fragging. It takes time but they all heal. I have a saw now and other great tools. Just be careful you will do fine.

Archived