Pod Your Reef

HippieHeadShot's First Reef -Biocube 8g- MAJOR UPDATE! Tank is back!

Simulated Fish

Simulated Fish

Updates!

Everything is going well, I fragged my GSP and Xenia. The GSP frag is staying and the colony is in the new tank. The Xenia frag went into the new tank.

2/22/16 FTS

QAQ3w95.jpg

As you can see the Xenia is growing like crazy and loving the tank space. Coraline is spreading like MAD in purple, pink, white, and green! The snail population has had a boom with 30+ small ones coming out at night. I assume that Henry the Clown is in the 45g they will soon grow up, having no predator, and keep the glass sparkling!

Bonus! Xenia glass mat shot, super easy to frag and stick anywhere :) if anyone needs a super hardy Xenia breed this is the one!

I06um8V.jpg

• 1 month later...
Clarinet_Reefer

Wow you got it to grow on the glass?? That's sweet! Kudo's to the Biocube 8 gallon. Very few around these days and I miss all the cool things people were doing with them! Keep up the good work and keep us all posted! Also started a Biocube 29 so come and visit my thread!

Simulated Fish

Wow you got it to grow on the glass?? That's sweet! Kudo's to the Biocube 8 gallon. Very few around these days and I miss all the cool things people were doing with them! Keep up the good work and keep us all posted! Also started a Biocube 29 so come and visit my thread!

Yep the tank is still going as a QT tank nowdays. Xenia owns the right wall now LOL. I actually pulled out and should the mother rock for $75. It was about 60-75 stalks.

I'll take a picture and post it up tonight. I just did a deep clean about a week ago because I was breading so pods for a friend's mandarin. The tank was INSANELY dirty - like can't see into the tank algae coverd- but I didn't want the fish to die and the LFS wouldn't take it back, can't believe they sold it to a new tank owner.

• 1 month later...
Simulated Fish

TANK IS UP AGAIN!!!

I couldn't help myself! i set this tank back up, or rather I refreshed it. :)

Completely pulled out everything and scrubbed down the tank. New sand, black this time! I used the main rock from the tank, it hadn't been removed I was still doing monthly WC because I still had coral in it but to be honest I had been neglecting it. :closedeyes:

Stocking List

• Unknown zoas - From original tank, the new ones are not stretched like the colony i got and under blue LEDs have very pretty pink and green markings.
  • GSP - I cant have a tank without it!
  • Pagoda Cup - Got this for a steal at only $15.00 it has great purple/pink base and purple/green polyps.
  • Unknown Acan - Got small $10 Acan frag on sale, never head one and I really like the coloration.
  • Flower Pot (Goniopora) - I am a big fan of LPS and this is one I have wanted for awhile and feel I am ready to take on. It is an ORA coral, so it comes from good aquaculture. It is a vivid green and pink/purple color and just beautiful.
  • Pulsing Pom Pom Xenia - Sold the MASSIVE amount of old Xenia I had growing on the glass but a week later i was missing it so i picked up this small frag. It had very nice pulsing movement and it is something I wanted from my last colony.
    I just cant help it! I love Xenia :wub::wub::wub:
  • Mated Clarkii Clownfish - Bought these guys on impulse during my weekly shrimp run. Main reason for updating the tank, the deserve a clean and happy home!! These guys are crazy though!!! not one, but BOTH have been missing and quickly found in my return pump chamber!!! The last 4 days it has been one or the other! I believe it is because I keep the water level just 2-3mm below the lip of the false wall and they have taken to sleeping at the surface next to the return nozzle. I suspect they are being startled when the time kicks on the lights and spazing out over the tiny lip. :rolleyes: I am going to attach a small piece of Plexi to raise the lip up and keep them in the main display.

In other tank news i am going to upgrade to LEDs and toss the old compacts, it is time for a bulb change and i would much rather have Dave's v3.1 array anyday over the PC bulbs! I really want two arrays but I might just do the one and add another if I feel it isn't enough - We are talking about a 8g and only 14in depth. I will be going full controller for the sunrise/set + environment and moonlights!

And at last, a FTS!!! I will add a daytime shot tomorrow, everyone is tucking into bed right now! :lol:

FTS 5/28/16

post-89131-0-70057300-1464493209_thumb.jpg

Archived