Pod Your Reef

Acclimating corals to new lights?

myelin

My old lighting setup was a 130w coralife aqualight. I just added a canopy and 2x130 aqualight retro's.

Is it normal for some corals to stay inside a few days after adding the new lighting? Everything looks okay (nothing is bleached) but som of my LPS aren't fully extended.

Also, I am having a temperature issue now that there are 2x130w lights in the tank. Would adding fans to the canopy help, or do I need a chiller? :o

AReeferIsExpensive

new lighting + temp change = corals "staying inside"......makes sense to me. I wouldnt sweat it~

Add fans.....what kind of canopy is it? There may be a way to vent it out a little..... What temp is the tank at?

It is an open back canopy from Drs. Foster and Smith.

For right now, I've kept the hood cracked to allow some heat to escape. Without the hood propped, the temp. gets up to 84*F. With the hood propped, and the ambient temp. set to 75*F, the in-tank temp. probe reads 80.1*F.

I was trying to figure out a way to install some CPU fans (that I already have) to the canopy without drilling large holes in the sides of the canopy.

Originally posted by koolaid

BTW - I am okay with the temp. @ 80*F. :)

80F is fine. The "safe" range is generally thought to be between 78 and 82.

Archived