Pod Your Reef

Ps2cho's 40B SPS Reef Build <<[June 2016 FTS Update + PAR]>>

ps2cho

Tank move was successful. No losses and its been a week now. The Royal Gramma has some faded patches on her, but might have been just stress and not eating great for the days leading up to the move. I will watch carefully.

Heres a pic of the rock structure. I removed a lot of the rock as it was far too big before. I am much happier and a ton more space for corals soon!

tankmove.jpg

Dayum that's nice. I like the piece towards the center that goes straight up.
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its safe to say at this point its been a success. Still no losses.

Its interesting to now understand that the rock provides enough filtration to handle 100% of ammonia production. The only caveat is that I used the wet Pink Fiji sand thats supposed to be live anyway...but even when starting new tanks, you see NH4 production with the wet sand, so I am always doubtful of "how" much it really does. Its worth it to get a little bacteria to kick start though when you have a brand new tank.

Alk did take a dump though fast that I didn't realize although the corals don't seem to be pissed off. Dropped from a steady 8.0 dKH to 7.2. I believe the new sand must be soaking up alkalinity?

• 1 month later...

Not much has happened with the tank with all my time and money going into our house renovation. But a small update here!

Well I got my Biotek BTM3000 Par Sensor hooked up and tested. I decided to get a PAR meter so that before I start investing in corals, I know what sort of light I am getting and know where to mount stuff.

Here's a new FTS and the accompanying Par readings. Would you guys say they look OK or should I increase my LED any further?

FTS-20160503.jpg

par-readings.jpg

When I compare the 4 month growth compared to the December FTS, I can definitely see some growth on a few corals, and not much on others.

I did do a complete tank breakdown and move in March, and I think only in the last month has it got back on track and everything is happy again. I removed the entire sand bed and put new sand in (didn't see a cycle at all though! I bet its because of the Pukani rock being so porous).

The other item that I am currently working on is a dedicated frag/quarantine tank. Specs:

29g tank with a 5g sump /w Reefbreeder Photon 24 LED. Jebao DC return pump and Jebao WP-25 wavemaker for movement.

I should have it fully running today after a number of plumbing problems. Once this is running I can start getting more coral frags as I am 100% never putting anything in my DT again without it being quarantined for minimum 6 weeks.

I'll post some photos by tonight of it running!

How long has that pink bird been in the tank? The bright pink tells me the PAR is about perfect no matter the numbers so perhaps the meter is under-reading the LED's?

Time to add a slimer at 310. :D

How long has that pink bird been in the tank? The bright pink tells me the PAR is about perfect no matter the numbers so perhaps the meter is under-reading the LED's?

Time to add a slimer at 310. :D

Its a frag that was about the size of a melon from the mother colony that I broke up into a ton of little frags. But its been in this tank since the beginning.

Frag Tank officially running now.

Fragtank1.JPG

I used a number of old rocks that were in my DT before, so there should be no cycle and I will likely add some of my excess frags tomorrow after its ran for a night.

Had to place the rocks on the frag rack for now as it floats LOL

EDIT: Also just got the PAR meter hooked up and set the lights up perfectly. Top rack will get 300 Par. Mid rack gets about 220 and bottom rack 125 from the center. Towards the edges lowers obviously so I have plenty of different PAR options!

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a Yellowtail Damsel and a Six-line Wrasse yesterday and they are doing great.

The Damsel should be super hardy and the Wrasse will take care of a few pests. I haven't see any aggression from the Six-line, but hopefully since I added them together they will be friends.

fragtankjune16.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's a few months later. Got a few more corals, and if these go well, I'll be adding more at a quicker pace since I think everything is running really smooth now!

Also coraline is beginning to show up on the back wall...so good sign!

fts1.jpg
fts2.jpg

Archived