Pod Your Reef

Spirorbid Worms growing on coral?

Simulated Fish

Simulated Fish

Hello I am 99% sure these are Spirorbid Worms but I have never seen them growing on coral!

Can I get a confirmation, and is there any way to remove them safely?

The coral has been growing strong with no problem and full polyp extension.

Thanks in advance guys.

post-89131-0-36831300-1445541568_thumb.jpg

post-89131-0-29887900-1445541577_thumb.jpg

post-89131-0-04811000-1445541584_thumb.jpg

Now you can be 100% sure lol. Honestly don't bother attacking the worms, you will cause more problems for yourself. if they grow in plague proportions find and fix the underlying cause, they come about when there is available fine particulate food, which means if the worms weren't catching it, it would instead pollute the tank. They sometimes have sudden increases in population, just to settle down in a little while.

I am also quite surprised that the coral hasn't tried to rid the worms from its skin.

Now you can be 100% sure lol. Honestly don't bother attacking the worms, you will cause more problems for yourself. if they grow in plague proportions find and fix the underlying cause, they come about when there is available fine particulate food, which means if the worms weren't catching it, it would instead pollute the tank. They sometimes have sudden increases in population, just to settle down in a little while.

I am also quite surprised that the coral hasn't tried to rid the worms from its skin.

+1

I'm also surprised the coral hasn't excreted a slime or something to rid the worms or even the movement I would think could dislodge them

+1

I'm also surprised the coral hasn't excreted a slime or something to rid the worms or even the movement I would think could dislodge them

maybe the coral somehow can't "feel" the worms, there has to be a reason.
Simulated Fish

maybe the coral somehow can't "feel" the worms, there has to be a reason.

Yeah that was my first hough because they started showing up on the zoa about 2 weeks ago. It literally doesn't care and has still been growing like a weed!

Archived