Cultivated Reef

Ca reactor question

Trefilas

Setting up my Ca+ reactor for the first time, I have got the drip rate and bubble rate to where I want it finally. I waited about an hour to test the effluent with a pH tet kit and its telling me 8.2

I thought it should be around 6.5

Should I let it run overnight and test again in the morning or should I just increase the CO2 bubble count now?

Thanks for any help in advance

Pete

I'd generally let the thing run for at least 24 hours before testing the CA Reactor outflow water. The CO2 levels need to build and begin the breakdown of the calcium carbonate into liquid form.

Always start at recommended points and gets ph levels. Adjust as needed and wait 24 hours or so after each adjustment to test again. I've found this to be the best way to get an accurate setting.

BTW, what reactor did you get?

Cameron

thanks Cameron!

Yeah I picked up a never used Knop C (the smaller one) from a moderator on Reefcentral for really cheap. Reactor, pump, regulator/solenoid for $145 shipped!

Hey one more question... not sure if your familar with these reactors but the instructions say there should be really no air in the chamber except for 1/4 below the blue pad. I did have a 1/4 of air but it seems to be getting bigger as the day goes by. I guess that means that the CO2 isn't dissolving quickly enough, right? How much will this effect the efficiency of the reactor? If anyone else has a Knop out there and some advice for getting rid of the trapped air, I'd to hear it.

Thanks all

Pete

It will likely start dissapearing as soon as it starts dissolving the media. If it continues to build over the next day or so i'd tune the CO2 back a little.

It's a little too early to tell for sure what it will start to do.

Cameron

Trefilas- Is this reactor for use on a nano? How big exactlly is your system? I'm just curious. Anyone else using Ca reactors on nanos? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

NanoReefer53

there's also another way to reduce CO2 from the top. You can try to tap into it then make a return to the pump line so the excess co2 will just back into the cycle.

Archived