Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Only I ... Xacto blade in tank?

Newstead

I had the stainless steel reflector on a coralife turbo twist rust up on me which I did not catch for about a year. It killed a clam (which are known to be very sensitive to heavy metals) and made my SPS lose color and stunted their growth. Also I know we use rust (GFO) all the time in our tanks but you have to realize it is of a very high quality. Even that high quality rust some will argue causes pinched mantle in clams. Long story short to combat the pollutants and heavy metals left in my tank I ran cuprisorb which seemed to really help. It didn't take long for stuff to start looking better again. If you absolutely can't get it out I would just always run cuprisorb. But I see this as the absolute final straw decision.

I second this; exact same situation happened to me. Luckily my clam made it though. Massive struggle to keep sps looking healthy until I removed the sterilizer and ran cuprisorb.

I second this; exact same situation happened to me. Luckily my clam made it though. Massive struggle to keep sps looking healthy until I removed the sterilizer and ran cuprisorb.

You were the one who recommended me the cuprisorb! haha What type of clam did you have just out of curiosity? Mine was a 18 inch long derasa that was around 6 or so years old!

You were the one who recommended me the cuprisorb! haha What type of clam did you have just out of curiosity? Mine was a 18 inch long derasa that was around 6 or so years old!

:D

5" maxima that I had for nearly 2 years at the time.

wow.such.chris

I can recall reading about someone, maybe a public aquarium, who put a railroad spike into a tank to help w phosphates. Or maybe it was an experiment. or maybe I just saw someone post something about it once... gee a lot of help I am

XActo customer service actually emailed me back. The body of the blade is AISI 1095 steel and the cutting edge is coated with zirconium nitrade. They have no idea what will happen in a reef tank (somehow I am not surprised - probably never been asked that one before).

After the mellowing effects of my self-medication with the BRs and a night's sleep I am just going to try to forget it is there unless Brandon's or my corals and livestock start running for the hills. If they do, my husband may get his big tank quicker than he had hoped. Will get some cuprisorb to run just in case! I have only LPS, a sun coral and mushrooms in there with 2 clowns. Don't have the lighting for a clam and (gasp) I don't care for most SPS.

Still looking forward to future updates on the pico razor experiment.

Well in that case it is just cheap Carbon Steel and not stainless at all (no Chrome). 0% Nickel.

Iron, Fe 98.38 - 98.8
Carbon, C 0.90 - 1.03
Sulfur, S ≤ 0.050
Phosphorous, P ≤ 0.040
Manganese, Mn 0.30 - 0.50
I have no idea what this would mean to your tank though. I would say it is going to rust though.

Well in that case it is just cheap Carbon Steel and not stainless at all (no Chrome). 0% Nickel.

Iron, Fe 98.38 - 98.8
Carbon, C 0.90 - 1.03
Sulfur, S ≤ 0.050
Phosphorous, P ≤ 0.040
Manganese, Mn 0.30 - 0.50
I have no idea what this would mean to your tank though. I would say it is going to rust though.

I have no doubt it'll rust because I have had old xacto blades rust up just from fragging zoas in a tank if I forget to coat them in vegetable oil! It is more a matter of what it will release when it does rust!

I have never been so happy before for a toiletries purchase heh

ten bucks is one yr of fresh razors all the time its amazing. I used to cut my baby face right and left but now am real smooth like my gramps we are a team of cool shavers now. :)

update pics soon mines rusting but nobody minds in the tank.

Thanks for the update, Brandon - all is well too so far in my exclusive XActo tank, except for my psycho red shroom that is always shapeshifting, going walkabout and generally freaking out, but he has always done that -he was just born a rambling man.

May try the superglue next water change since I know I will be doing contortions staring at the dang tip everytime I clean chamber 2.

Brandon, how is the razor pico doing? Everything in my tank is doing well (fingers crossed) and even the psycho mushroom has settled down again after straddling his rock.

All is fine I claim there will be no long term harm even through full rust and eventual disintegration years from now. My rust has held to just on the edges and the system behaves normally, all corals and micro benthics are normal

You know how when they want to test drugs with nineteen known side effects they use rats or rabbits so the small body mass will show effects quicker than a 150 pound human

Same here IMO. My system is one gallon and the same density of corals per gallon as any other system of normal size. But I've no skimmer, granular carbon it's all self contained and would amplify bad effects I call case closed. Put money where mouth is and other than a rusty cutter in my reef nothing has changed lol

Archived