Top Shelf Aquatics

Now what?

damdic

Ok, after I mix my water do I need to let it sit in my tank with the

micro jets running for a few days before i add LS & LR.

Also, at the LFS the LR looks dull .

Should it have color ? I don't see any life on it .

Is that normal?

I still think my best bet is to order LR from the net.

What do ya'l think?

I'd let the water age for at least a day just to make sure everything's disolved and you're getting accurate SG readings. Then go ahead and throw some rock in there. You should ask the LFS about their rock. Usually the dull stuff with little or no coralline is base rock- much cheaper, but not as purdy. See when they get their shipments in and ask if they get any premium stuff. Ordering online is always an option, there's some really good suppliers on the web, but it can be tough for those of us setting up small tanks because the tiny quantities we need vs. the shipping costs can bring down the overall "bang for your buck."

Well, base rock is live rock. It contains the bacterial colonies neccessary to filter the water. It's just drab looking and typically lacks the life you get from premium live rock. People use base rock when they're setting up large tanks. They can build most of their reef with the BR (because it's cheaper), and cover that with pieces of the nice stuff. When you're making a large pile of rocks, most of it will be hidden from view anyway, so this works well. For small tanks, most of us just go with 100% good stuff. Are there any other LFSs in your area you could call? Ask if they have premium LR (Fiji, Marshall, Tonga, etc.)

try themarinecenter.com they have special deals on delivery for peeps living in texas & ok. they get good quality stuff too.

The Marine Center sent me some great rock! I was very very pleased with it. Shipping to El Paso, TX will cost you $30 ($20 for shipping, $10 for packaging). You can see some pics of it at:

http://www.nano-reef.com/goofnut

Just an FYI, I turned the coralline encrusted sides down during the initial stage of the curing (you see the undersides of the rock in the pics on the page). The pic on the main page shows better what it looked like on the good sides.

Depending on the size of your tank, you might consider getting a box of it and splitting it with someone else. It's $3.50/lb that way.. I ordered just enough for my tank (might could have used an extra 2 or 3 pounds) that way I could have them pull pieces specifically suited for my tank size (10g). At $3.99/lb, it was still a better deal, including shipping, than what what my LFSs sell, and looked a WHOLE lot better.

Archived