Coral Vue Hydros

Shallow Reef Tank - New tank update

tanacharison

tanacharison

Mounted a bunch of frags I had in the tank. I hate doing zoa's, I feel like I'm killing them every time and sure enough they pull through just fine. Flow is cranking for the day so everyone heals good.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tanacharison

DSC_0112_zps5kzdoyhi.jpg

Recently a lot of changes have been made in the sump. I wanted to get a feel of the new equipment before the big move. On the new build I wanted every part of the system to have a clean and well designed feel.

Avast Marine Reactors: I've had issues with bio pellets clogging and from everything I read the bio pellet nozzle on the avast reactors don't clog easy or at all. The old reactors required to be mounted and given the size it took up a lot of space after the plumbing. So far the reactors seem easy to work with and i'll relocate them to sit along side the return section of the sump on the new setup for a cleaner look.

IceCap K2-120 Skimmer: Downright amazing! It pulls great skimmate and this helps a lot when your feeding heavy and running bio-pellets. It's the largest rated skimmer that fits into my 5 1/2 x 15 section. I have yet to hook up the drain in the collection cup nor do I have any desire to use the ozone attachment but the option is available with the skimmer. Noise is low. It also looks very good.

NanoBox Beam Light: This light looks sharp.. a work of art. The color blend against the rock and sand looks amazing. Currently I have it at 60% and its really bright. I even decided to add caulerpa for a more natural look in the sump. It will provide more coverage than my last light and I will not be limited to lower light macros if I decide to change.

tanacharison

So today starts the building of the new stand. New tank is ready for pick up....and all the plumbing should be here today too!

tanacharison

Off to a good start with the new build... here are the sides of the stand being burnt.

20160525_200621_HDR_zpsjlkamkqg.jpg

20160525_201651_HDR_zpsv8igvr3g.jpg

I have a lot of work to do ahead... Blue and white to match the skimmer.

20160525_222347_HDR_zps7rb31kje.jpg

Red_Blenny

A tank from AA, nice! I'm planning on getting a 30"L x 18"W x 14.5"H or a 36"L x 18"W x 14.5"H tank from AA one day.

What's the thickness of the acrylic for your 30"L x 20"W x 14"H tank?

tanacharison

A tank from AA, nice! I'm planning on getting a 30"L x 18"W x 14.5"H or a 36"L x 18"W x 14.5"H tank from AA one day.

What's the thickness of the acrylic for your 30"L x 20"W x 14"H tank?

The new tank is from acrylic creations in PA the other tanks are all from AA. All the AA tanks are 1/2" and my new one is 3/4. I wanted to beef it up to prevent any bowing. I will say you will love anything by advanced acrylics the work is amazing

Red_Blenny

The new tank is from acrylic creations in PA the other tanks are all from AA. All the AA tanks are 1/2" and my new one is 3/4. I wanted to beef it up to prevent any bowing. I will say you will love anything by advanced acrylics the work is amazing

My current tank is from AA and I'm really happy with it. After looking at your new tank, I might go for 3/4" thickness.

Speaking of your tank, how's the upgrade coming along?

tanacharison

My current tank is from AA and I'm really happy with it. After looking at your new tank, I might go for 3/4" thickness.

Speaking of your tank, how's the upgrade coming along?

No big updates. Still building the stand. I decided I want to add a drawer for the apex. Also just survived my first 3 hour power outage. :)
tanacharison

I ordered sand for the new display... 10%off this weekend. I'm not sure I will switch from BB yet but the 20lbs I ordered does not look like a lot. I'm looking to have the shallowest sand bed for those fish that require it. Options.

• 2 weeks later...
tanacharison

After a long day the stand is 90% built.. now just the details. Some minor painting, filling and installing the drawer and lights. Ill update with pictures later. I'm very excited to do the plumbing.

The tank is doing well. The time between water changes was increase a few days to let the tank get a little dirty for coral coloration. Ive had some algae but I was able to keep it under control. Sadly during this I over estimated how much I needed to dose and I'm suffering from alk burn on two of my SPS corals. I'm not really shocked on the corals because ive always struggled with blue ones.

tanacharison

Busy Busy day.. spent a good bit of time on the new tank and moved 80% of my stuff to the new place already. Saving the tank for last.

20160628_192319_HDR_zpsfphvj168.jpg

20160628_192327_HDR_zpsuk7akvgi.jpg

20160628_192338_HDR_zpsdisufitr.jpg

tanacharison

how's the icecap skimmer doing? thinking about picking one up. you said noise is "low". so it's not "silent"?

I love it! I've been letting the tank get a little dirty and its doing great keeping up. I've never had a silent tank so I don't have much to compare too. It makes less noise than my Asm and reef octo skimmer and I can't hear it over the return pump on my tank if that helps.

IMG_20160705_130546_zpslswqbmp0.jpg[/url This will be a long day...

tanacharison

get off nanoreef and get back to work!

I had to stop and see what's going on a few times. Ill have it wet this week.

tanacharison

IMG_20160707_105854_zpsg19wyug0.jpg

20160707_105715_HDR_zpsq6cbpjha.jpg

Everything is glued in and ready for water.. First leak test was good so the move is a go. I already love the icecap cooling fans. Let's do this!

• 1 month later...

Archived