Coral Vue Hydros

3 Gallon Invert Tank (Any Ideas)

YaBoyLaj

Planning to start at 3 gallon picotope, only some simple coral, simple rockscape and a few inverts.

Thinking of putting in a Crinoid squat lobster, venus anemone shrimp, a boxer/pompom crab, 2 bumblebee shrimp and some dove snails. (these are all possible but i'd put one in at a time as not to overload the tank)

Coral wise i was thinking of the basics, GSP probably a frag from my current tank, pulse xenia and possibly a sun coral frag (possibly black) but idk yet.

Any suggestions?

(thinking of using a JBJ Cubey)

An aiptasia species-only tank would be nice! You can ask amphipod how to improve the colors of those devils XD

Lol that would be pretty sweet! I had some in my old 30 gallon and they were pretty cool to watch! I'll definitely take that into consideration!

An aiptasia species-only tank would be nice! You can ask amphipod how to improve the colors of those devils XD

Lol that would be pretty sweet! I had some in my old 30 gallon and they were pretty cool to watch! I'll definitely take that into consideration!

Aiptasia are super fun, not gonna lie. and I must say I'm getting more and more curious of actually how they interact with different corals, some corals I'm sure will be harmed by the stings, but if Aiptasia was as bad as many make them out to be, everything in the pacific reef ecosystems with Aiptasia should be a wasteland sprouting only Aiptasia. That's not the case though, and in fact nothing could be further from the truth, pacific reefs are flourishing ecosystems. It's obvious that there is plenty of corals that wouldn't be affected by the stings, and plenty of animals that feed off Aiptasia. We need knowledge.

Plenty of invertebrates to choose from, in fact everything in the sea that isn't a fish, bird, mammal, or reptile, is an invertebrate lol.

Aiptasia are super fun, not gonna lie. and I must say I'm getting more and more curious of actually how they interact with different corals, some corals I'm sure will be harmed by the stings, but if Aiptasia was as bad as many make them out to be, everything in the pacific reef ecosystems with Aiptasia should be a wasteland sprouting only Aiptasia. That's not the case though, and in fact nothing could be further from the truth, pacific reefs are flourishing ecosystems. It's obvious that there is plenty of corals that wouldn't be affected by the stings, and plenty of animals that feed off Aiptasia. We need knowledge.

Plenty of invertebrates to choose from, in fact everything in the sea that isn't a fish, bird, mammal, or reptile, is an invertebrate lol.

Lol haha I thought it was a really good idea! One of my LFSs has an aptasia tank with rocks absolutely covered with them. What's the care requirements for them I didn't touch them in my 30 gal but that was a while ago

I looked into a small piece of live rock in my tank last night. There was this little aiptasia on it with its tentacles expanded. Looks like it retracts itself during the day and only pop out at night. Do they prefer low light? I wonder how I can make it grow faster!

Lol haha I thought it was a really good idea! One of my LFSs has an aptasia tank with rocks absolutely covered with them. What's the care requirements for them I didn't touch them in my 30 gal but that was a while ago

Aiptasia actually need a lot of food to sustain high numbers I have found, in fact a large specimen can begin to decrease size in a matter of days without lots of food, so if you want a ton, you should feed generously. target feeding doesn't always suffice if you want to grow a ton. As for the rest of their care, treat them like any cheap coral and they definitely will be happy. Just think of them as the ultimate beginners anemone lol.

I looked into a small piece of live rock in my tank last night. There was this little aiptasia on it with its tentacles expanded. Looks like it retracts itself during the day and only pop out at night. Do they prefer low light? I wonder how I can make it grow faster!

that doesn't sound like an Aiptasia, they aren't particularly nocturnal, in fact I never see them close up at predictable intervals.

Aiptasia actually need a lot of food to sustain high numbers I have found, in fact a large specimen can begin to decrease size in a matter of days without lots of food, so if you want a ton, you should feed generously. target feeding doesn't always suffice if you want to grow a ton. As for the rest of their care, treat them like any cheap coral and they definitely will be happy. Just think of them as the ultimate beginners anemone lol.

that doesn't sound like an Aiptasia, they aren't particularly nocturnal, in fact I never see them close up at predictable intervals.

That's kinda weird... lemme observe it for a while and try to get a clear picture

• 3 weeks later...

Majanos and corkscrews can live with Aiptasia, gsp, xenia, blue cloves can hold their own once they're established IME. Some of the more aggressive palys (usually the ugly ones lol) and the tougher mushrooms should be ok as well.

Fishless tanks have a unique charm to them in that you can achieve a level of biodiversity you normally wouldn't be able to in a small tank with a fish. All sorts of weird inverts will start popping up and you'll see populations boom and bust in cycles once it becomes established. Really neat stuff IMO.

Archived