Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mini for SPS Frag tank?

VW_TDI_02

I have a frag rack in my sump that is almost all SPS (acros, digis, montis, pavonas, etc.) and I'm wondering how well a mini would do with these corals. The rack is 7" under water so it's pretty shallow and measure about 12" by 15" so I'm not sure how well it will cover. I currently have two PAR38 bulbs hanging above it but I'm not getting the color I would like and was thinking about switching to a 150 watt halide or maybe a mini.

[updated with correct measurements]

I have a frag rack in my sump that is almost all SPS (acros, digis, montis, pavonas, etc.) and I'm wondering how well a mini would do with these corals. The rack is 8" under water so it's pretty shallow and measure about 12" by 18" so I'm not sure how well it will cover. I currently have two PAR38 bulbs hanging above it but I'm not getting the color I would like and was thinking about switching to a 150 watt halide or maybe a mini.

What are the exact tank dimensions?

Just measured it again. The frag rack is 12"x15". It's in the middle section of my sump which is a DIY 20 long with some baffles. The frag rack is under 7" of water and the water level is 4" below the rim of the sump. If you look in my sig there is a link to my build log and you should be able to see it.

20150906_143350_zpsxhd20het.jpg

A mini will light that no problem.

I know it will light it, I just wasn't sure if it would be enough for almost all SPS across that entire area. I've added about 5 or so more frags since that picture and it's pretty full. Need to get rid of the zoas in there.

I know it will light it, I just wasn't sure if it would be enough for almost all SPS across that entire area. I've added about 5 or so more frags since that picture and it's pretty full. Need to get rid of the zoas in there.

15" is about to the extent of the mini's 'useful' cone of light. Beyond that the intensity starts to drop off quickly. Since you're lighting a flat surface, you won't really have the issues most have with point-source lighting, which is extreme shadowing, so you'll have good results. :)

15" is about to the extent of the mini's 'useful' cone of light. Beyond that the intensity starts to drop off quickly. Since you're lighting a flat surface, you won't really have the issues most have with point-source lighting, which is extreme shadowing, so you'll have good results. :)

I'm a bit skeptical. I was looking at the PAR charts on the nanoboxreef site and anything past 12" looks a bit low for SPS. Originally I had someone who was going to give me a free FishNeedIt 150 watt halide but they ended up not being able to make the trip. It's about 2 hours away so I may see about grabbing it this Saturday.

Yes, you will be fine with a mini and that tank. Let's get a pre-order in for a new mini :)

I am entered into the contest so if you give me some help there we can settle this easily :)

I'm a bit skeptical. I was looking at the PAR charts on the nanoboxreef site and anything past 12" looks a bit low for SPS.

What do you consider 'a bit low' for SPS? The saturation point for most SPS seems to be in the 150-200 range, with shallow water corals tolerating more in the 300 range, but beyond that the light is wasted. Dana Riddle has quite a bit of data on that. Also you won't have it at 18" distance, will you? Also, Dave's numbers were not at full tilt, but I believe 80% on the blue channel and 40% on white, Dave can correct me on that.

^What Jedi said

I'm a bit skeptical. I was looking at the PAR charts on the nanoboxreef site and anything past 12" looks a bit low for SPS. Originally I had someone who was going to give me a free FishNeedIt 150 watt halide but they ended up not being able to make the trip. It's about 2 hours away so I may see about grabbing it this Saturday.

I am entered into the contest so if you give me some help there we can settle this easily :)

I was actually able to light-bleach all the corals(including SPS: Acropora Secale, Limeade, Millepora, Birds Nest) in my 11 gallon Mr Aqua tank (19x11x11) by running what is basically a nanobox mini array at 100%. I wouldn't worry too much about the nanobox not giving enough light.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/3/aafeature1

Is probably my favorite out of those and others will probably enjoy it a lot. There is a chart at the bottom that makes it incredibly clear. For those who don't feel like reading, the compensation point is the minimum and the saturation point is the "ideal" point for photosynthesis and then the photoinhibition point is the upper limit for that species. Guess I'm going to start looking for a mini tide for that frag tank. I recently bought a birdsnest from someone running a pair of Hydra 52s and I've never seen a tank with such color in person; especially compared to my tank. haha

Archived