Cultivated Reef

Sea Slug

Mateo

I have a couple of sea slug looking things (snail w/out a shell) on my live rock. I was reading a hitchhiker faq that suggested one species may feed on corals but the description differed from the way the ones in my tank look. Are they ok to leave in there?

Thanks,

Matt

Are you sure they have no shell? A more common hitchiker would be a limpet snail. They have a shell, but it's very low-profile. Sort looks like a little baret that they wear, a lot of people seem to initially think they're some sort of sea slug or nudibranch.

Yeah, one of them fell off of the rock when I was putting it in and it didn't have a single piece of shell. I also had something that was much smaller but looked the same burrow down into my sand bed.

A sea slug thing without a shell most likely means its a stomatella. These are not harmful and are good algae grazers.

To be sure though, just search up the word stomatella and see if thats what you got.

Or else post a pic here and we'll be able to ID for you.

printerdown01

What do your "slugs" look like? I'm with Sahin on this... I was also thinking stomatella... they do have a shell, but it is small and you would have to look for it (honetly appears like they have no shell)... They are usually brownish green... Sometimes tan...

Archived