SaltCritters.com

Handmade : What does it take?

DaveFason

Handmade : made with the hands or by using hand tools

I feel this term is thrown around far to easily. Some people think it is a "hipster" term or the new fad for our age group. To me it is the total opposite. More people are starting to appreciate goods that cost 10-15% more but support someone who takes the time to meticulously craft goods. My shop is small, I am a one man army and I do not have the cash to buy expensive machines. However I still find a way to build an aquarium light that I feel can stack up next to any large company out there.

I work with other small shops that preform steps that I simply can not do efficiently and build a relationship. Like people used to do before jumping ship and moving mostly over seas. Once a relationship is built it is amazing what you can do together.

Below is a quote that sums the "USA-Made" trend.

"According to the March 2015 I read on Fortune, U.S. Exports in February grew by 0.9% but imports grew by a staggering 7.7%. And according to a 2013 article by Forbes, we buy 4x more stuff from China, than we sell as a country. "

This post was inspired after prepping 178 units on Friday. Cutting myself, cutting grease all over me, sanding sheets torn and 2400 holes tapped just to get ready for the powder coater. After it was all said and done I could look down, smile and only imagine what the future holds. I am working on a play by play on what it takes to build each unit. I think everyone will really appreciate seeing behind the scenes. It took twelve versions of the DUO and nine of the Mini before they were ready for production.

The start!

21355806496_2e55c662ea_c.jpgUntitled by David Fason, on Flickr

I think I can still feel my hand vibrating.

21194194308_85a8e7f86d_c.jpgUntitled by David Fason, on Flickr

All lids are countersunk by hand with a special 100 degree tool. Not your normal angle.

21390366591_daa3c23e45_c.jpgUntitled by David Fason, on Flickr

I need a larger shop! Units prepped, cleaned and then drying in the sun.

21355812976_25ff8d04b6_c.jpgUntitled by David Fason, on Flickr

Enjoy!

-Dave

Here are a few of my favorite handmade goods out there.

WKRMN - Amazing guy and pocket knifes.

http://workerman.storenvy.com/

Almond Surfboards - Love these guys and I am highly influenced by them.

http://almondsurfboards.com/

Cut Brooklyn - Most of my kitchen knives are made from Joel

http://cutbrooklyn.com/

Handmade is exactly what ultimately led me to buy your product. Besides being great quality and great price knowing you were hands on with every aspect of the product. Your hands are full and that's a good thing.

LOL- I like the shot of USPS shipping boxes being used to keep the heat sinks off the ground. I use them for similar purposes. To protect my PcB's from dirt while the con formal coating dries. Keep up the good work Dave!

Keep up the great work Dave! You are an inspiration to us all.(And if not, then you really just don't know how to spot a good quality product, awesome craftsmanship, and amazing customer service)

And on a side note, you too Mr. Reefer. You are building yourself a nice little company as well.

Was looking to buy a new light recently and decided to go with the NanoBox Mini Tide based on the positive feedback Dave consistently receives.

Great communication(changed from 2 channel to 4 half-way into the build), and a beautiful little light. Best purchase I've made for my tank. Very happy to support American small businesses and Dave is a great example of someone who not only builds a great product but provides stellar customer service. This company and their lights deserve all the praise they get.

I think "handmade" embodies the passions of invention, sharing, and the desire to succeed - but also the need to understand and overcome failure sometimes.

Great pics!

Archived